Live resin smell after extraction

Hey guys got a wired issue going on , I am running fresh frozen greenhouse material in a cls with dry ice sleeves I’m noticing all the extracts are coming out smelling very earthy or floral but not in a good way almost like grass but maybe with a bit of a better smell it’s nothing like the flower smells so I’m curious as why I am running fresh frozen the proper way and getting shit terps o have noticed when I let the dial product with for a loooong time a smell dose appear and it’s good but who can leave product in a cure for over 3 months ad still produce

That’s live resin for yah. And may be why some hang for 3-5days first.

4 Likes

I haven’t done a ton of live resin, but so far I haven’t had this issue.
All the live resin I have worked with was indoor nugs though…

1 Like

It’s not all of them but “grassy” is a very common descriptor for live resins.

1 Like

Thank you for the info! Will be interesting to see how my greenhouse stuff turns out this fall. Gunna do half live resin, half cured.

@cyclopath see any reason I can’t harvest and then extract immediately without freezing?

It _might_be possible to load raw wet biomass and hit it with -80C solvent with good results, but I’m of the opinion that one should Freeze biomass then run sub-zero solvent.

2 Likes

Did it smell grassy like that right when it was harvested? If it didnt have a dank smell when it was first frozen and harvested the smell will not be dank coming out no matter what

Gunna try both ways: do a side by side of the final product. I will let you know how it goes!

I have friends who only run live I think your problem is the material wasn’t frozen promptly in time. I have never experienced this issue with properly made live . The problem is as soon as you cut a branch you only have 20 mins to get it frozen . Ideally you want to get it right on dry ice because a freezer produces ice crystals over trichomes to some extent naturally the longer you wait the more this happens . Also your material could be thawing slightly and releasing chlorophyll. One of these have to be the potential culprit . My friends also noticeably loose a good amount of solvent per column because they don’t soak and push with nitro real quick not worrying about recovering residual solvent from the column for this reason .

2 Likes

If you’re bud thaws at any point and gets soggy you’ll have this happen. Make sure your fresh frozen is properly handled and make sure you’re going cold!

Trying to find out but I’m buying from a farm up north so they just bring it to me

1 Like

I would open a bag, hopefully vacuum sealed frozen bags, and see what it smells like. It wont give you a 100% for sure terpene profile, however if it smells like grass in the frozen vacuum seal bags, it will smell like that coming out. Only thing you could do is add d limonene to your column while extracting however that is frowned upon

1 Like