Live extract comes out green sometimes

Yeah that what I thought, a 30 min soak, 750 ml, 50 grams-ish.

These plants are straight fire, some of these mintz like in the 27-30% range, I was thinking maybe it went past so much thca, that it just got saturated already, and couldnt catch more terps even tough terps are much more soluble.

Or does it just get to the thca first cause most of thats on the outer layer of the plant? (Edit: I wrongly tought the trichomes only had the cannabinoids soup in them😂)

Maybe these just arent that terpy😂

Wouldnt the terps get caught first anyway and running more solvent just, just catches more unwanted shit? Im at -40 till have a better freezer.

Not that I’m complaining, id rather have it crash out like this every run.

What % Thca/terps+ is average for extraction with butane/propane?

1 Like

I believed to have read somewhere thats its still a debate why butane/propane is so effective at pulling the thca because it doesnt want to stay in it when colder/room temp. Yet we blast/soak and it washes of.

:joy: edit: After reading I found out terpenes are in the trichomes:

Special cells produce secretions of terpenes and cannabinoids which are stored in the spherical resin gland in the trichome. The exact nature/ratio of the cannabinoids and terpenes secreted is determined by the genetics in the original cannabis seed, as well as the environment.

I dont think running more solvent is going to do me any good😂 thca being less soluble than terps have no meaning when extracting it seems, the glands with its content gets emptied and what you pull is what you get.

When talking about thca in its pure form vs terps the story is different yes.

Perhaps they’re ending up somewhere else?

If your collection pot is too hot, or there’s intense vacuum pulling on them, they may have ended up back in your solvent tank?

If your spent weed isn’t stinky anymore, and your collected oil isn’t either…

There’s really not many other places for them to go.

As the world’s most famous Toucan once wisely proclaimed…

“Just follow your nose!”

5 Likes

Collection pot is -40, no vacuum, and filtering very basic with coffee filters.

I soak trimm and fluff 30 min and pour, and I

Evaped the 750ml outside til it fits a 250ml jar and I cap and freeze for 3 days.

Not until after that 3 day freeze I heat up til 25

What im left with smells like hay(I’m sure some could still be extracted from it along with cannabinoids), the coffee filters have no smell, extract collected smells very nice, just a smaller layer of terp sauce on top then I used too have and had seen online.

Litterally the only difference is the strains I used.

But I didnt mean to derail the thread so sorry for that😂, I just wanted to share OP how I freeze, and show how the extract turns out and on a side note point to the small terp layer wich surpised me this time😂.

1 Like

this is literally the biggest variable you will have for expected color and output.

4 Likes

Maybe -25 is not freezing fast enough, I would think they need to pack less into the bags or/and maybe try and use a -40 freezer.

And any trim or fluff should be bagged asap, when I finish a plant or 2 they get bagged up and I try to do it within a half hour (ish) bigger plants get done in sections.

Depending on temp and lights hitting the material it can wilt very quick.
I notice this al the time, when defoliating the leaves they smell very nice en spicy, the longer they lay out in the open, more hay(ish) smell apears.

Also the bags should be as open as they be can to ensure airflow, at least while collecting and should not be under a lamp(or sun) or near a heat source to avoid moisture buil up between nugs or leaves.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve done any shucking or bucking so I may be a little outdated but I’ve had good success using turkey bags sitting on dry ice in a 5gal bucket. A good chunk of the material will already be frozen before the bag is transferred to the freezer and spends very little time at room temp.

2 Likes

I just use an empty dry ice tote

I make a layer about 6inches deep with DI on the bottom and you can put about 8-10 2 lb turkey bags in there and gently cover with a few inches of DI

Bucket is genius for smaller amounts or just doing 1 bag at a time yourself.

2 Likes

I prefer half filled tote stack in about 5-6 bags of material with room to breath out the top & then cover side in dry ice. After 1-2 rounds of freezing bags it’ll take shape & you can really bust through flash freezing for cheap to store till extraction. Either that or if small batch freezing quick occasionally poor man’s ln2 it and dip em in the bags.

2 Likes

Even better! Regular buckets don’t provide much insulation haha I’m sure the tote would be much more efficient. Although I did recently see some Yeti 5 gal buckets at a clients spot, those would be pretty sweet to play around with.

We use dry ice totes as well. A few inches of ice on the bottom then a layer of two 10lb bags. Then a few inches of ice on top and two
More 10lb bags. Keep layering until the tote is full.

3 Likes

Vac sealed bags, flat and not stuffed like a sausage. Light vac but enough to keep everything in place and don’t over vac. Then use the dry ice tote. Turkey bags become very brittle when they get that cold. The vac seal bags do, as well, but not nearly as bad. Turkey bags have and will rip extremely easily trying to dig them out of the dry ice. And vac sealing them takes significantly less space, along with the material being frozen quicker.

9 Likes

Very brittle I’ve ripped the top knot right off

3 Likes