Liquid nitrogen generator?

Hey,

Was curious if anyone has ever bothered using a liquid nitrogen generator for cooling? Seems like you can just build up a supply overnight and have enough for next day kinda thing.

Alibaba seems to have some stuff around the $5k mark for 2-3lph? Seems alright?

1 Like

Looked into this for our facility. It’s not a bad idea if you can find a Chinese supplier with certified equipment.

1 Like

In My quest to cooling capacity i stumbled on these unit s they seem a great solution
And i Will probably get more info in june
Got a chiller to -60C at 17kw Need to drop the last -10C and i am looking into this as a solution

Me and some buddies made an N2 generator in high school in the 90s for overclocking old school and athlon chips lol

http://homemadeliquidnitrogen.com

8 Likes

Why not just use a chiller? You will need one anyway to make the ln2, just eliminate the middle man and let the chiller do the work.

3 Likes

There is this touch science that has 5.5kw @ -80 that’s some extremely sufficient cooling power.

8 Likes

Nice find @Dred_pirate

1 Like

I don’t believe their numbers. Plus typical susyem inefficiencies yield 70-75% efficiency.

Has anyone tried to measure up the cooling capacity on a Touch Science Chiller? Some flow meters and thermocouples would certainly be in order.

I have their other chiller the 30/80. And it’s gotten down to -81. It’s room conditions are very dependent on the performance.

The one I posted a picture of, is a three phase, has a far larger fluid bath capacity, and it is really powerful. I would love to test it out and see what it can do. But, that is just on paper. I’d like to see if it can handle vapor recovery

2 Likes

I mean actually matching the wattage / cooling rate - not just final temperature. My experience with it (the early 2018 single-phase model) was working pretty nicely for its price but was way slower than advertised.

1 Like

It probably is. It also seemed like it it had a little bit more hitch in its giddyup when we first got it. I think this one is from around then. We got it a while ago for our roto. I hijack it so I can dewax when I need to.

1 Like

could you please send more info where to buy

Would Liquid nitrogen cause any issues if used in replacement of dry ice around bases and inside dewax sleeves etc? Would a single large chiller like pictured above really be able to handle a fully jacketed 10lb system with some extra fully jacketed accessories? Completely mitigating any dry ice use?
Im new to chillers and have only used dry ice up until this point.

The chiller seems optimal
But having a small jug of LN2 around would be nice due to its long storage life and it seems more versatile than a chiller

I could be wrong but check alibaba for the model number. 17k is quite a price tag though probably worth it.

Claims -350 in 50 mins

Fuck making a chiller just make one of these!

:octopus: Swimming towards the liquid nitrogen

4th post on this exact thread

3 Likes

Have you ran their chillers with a large load for a long time? can you confirm they use a TXV and not a capillary tube? I am about to drive to LA to buy one but they are in crates and said I couldnt inspect them.

1 Like

I didn’t use it for a terribly long time. And I didn’t put that much of a load on it as I only used it for dewaxing with butane. It was used otherwise for the roto for recovery, but I know it didn’t keep temp. As much don’t with a roto. It worked out well for what I was needing it for back then.

1 Like

Makes sense. Takes alot of LN2 to chill a solvent with a 110-130 degree delta.

2-3/LPH of LN2 production would yield you about .7-1.2LPH of chilled solvent, hardly relevant.