Limonene denatured ethanol UPDATE: denaturant R&D ROLL CALL

Agree
But this tread started about ethanol in Europe and Slovakia and one other country got away with bitrex as a denuturants making separation possible
EU law also want s denuturants to be azeotrope s

BREAKTHROUGH!

Just got a call from my rep, she is sending info over on a program that will allow us to get MNBP permits from TTB and import UNTAXED food grade denatured ethanol from canada.

There is a long list of different approved denaturants, I will be updating with info here so we can discuss which blends we would like to start using.

4 Likes

Dig in bitches
These are 1% denaturants, there’s got to be an ideal compound on this list- once we choose which one we want to use I will request a quote on pricing - we have a TTB consultant who worked there for 30 years who will guide you through the permitting process.

https://ttb.gov/ssd/1percent_natural_solutions.shtml

6 Likes

#192 Hops Oil

3 Likes

Any particular reason?

1 Like

Fire terps

7 Likes

Hell yeah

Myrcene is my vote #243

3 Likes

#123 melonal. Tastes like melon and has a low boiling point (116.00 to 124.00 °C. @ 100.00 mm Hg).
Honestly though, someone with better chemistry/terpene/flavanoid knowledge then me should go through this and find more non toxic compounds that have very low boiling temperatures and are least likely to pull waxes and chlorophyl.

2 Likes

And preferrably doesnt form an azeotrope.

1 Like

Patchouly Oil because hippies like it.

2 Likes

So gross @blackie! Please for the love of all that is holy, no! Haha

4 Likes

Hell no sir!

4 Likes

Patchouli/Amber/sandalwood 1:1:1 mix

1 Like

Ambergris and sandalwood I can get behind…

I’ve been wanting to do a terpene isolation on whale amber for a looong time

1 Like

“White crystals of a terpene known as ambreincan be separated from ambergris by heating raw ambergris in alcohol, then allowing the resulting solution to cool. Breakdown of the relatively scentless ambrein through oxidation produces ambroxan and ambrinol, the main odor components of ambergris.”
Taken from wikipedia

its very easy to make ambroxide via synthesis, one pot reaction using clarry sage essential oil and PMA as a catalyst, I was learning perfume chemistry a few years back when I saw that and always wanted to try it… I actually have all the tools needed now to perform the work… thanks for the reminder!

4 Likes

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=f7866313787bfcfb2b9cd25ba6af81b5&rgn=div5&view=text&node=27:1.0.1.1.17&idno=27#se27.1.21_155

Check out Formula No. 28-A … @Shadownaught is there any reason Carbon Chemistry uses 5%?

There are certain formulations that States like CA considered totally denatured.

For example:

I wanted to try and get some alcohol denatured with methanol, the problem is the formula for that alcohol has some 4 letter alcohol ( I almost want to say some shit like MEKP, but its not MEKP because that’s fiberglass resin hardener) in it that I dont want to deal with. I was specifically told that since you’re using denatured alcohol which avoids the federal tax they’re very hard on formulations.

@Shadownaught knows what I’m talking about we had a convo about this a while back, he actually helped explain this to me.

1 Like

I remember seeing 5% requirement for Heptane as a formulation somewhere - maybe that was CA-specific like you state.