Let's see your set up!

I can dm you all the parts if you want? I was going to use a magnet or a ferromagnetic coupler but in the end I built that one. It’s quite standard, I just copied what people where selling. It uses several gaskets that are rated to high temps and long term use and has an internal sealed lubrication pocket. I’ve had the system well over 100C and it was fine and didn’t leak. Good vacuum too.

6 Likes

Please do :grin:

1 Like

@Kit Please consider posting the list here for us all to see I’m sure a good number would appreciate it. Thanks beautiful setup, how much you looking to get for it? Where are you located?

6 Likes

Make a thread with a detailed parts list, with links, instructions on how to build the “agitator” etc. it’s what this forum could use in these hard times.

14 Likes

Looks kinda like my true steel dr, but belt driven. Very nice work. Why are you getting rid of it

2 Likes

Everything… I think:
(TC = tri-clamp)

• 8" x 24"Jacketed Spool - 20L
  • 8" Lid - 5 x 1.5" TC, 2x1/2"BSP Female, 2x1/2"BSP Male
  • 8" Lid - 2 x 1.5" TC, 1x1/2"BSP
  • 8" to 1.5" Jacketed Bowl / Reducer
  • 8" Jacketed Splatter Plate / Flat Bottom tank. With folding handles. Jacked surrounds side * Bottom for more accurate temp control.
  • 2" x 20" Jacketed Condenser
  • 8" Filter Plate with internal ring
  • 20" Cartridge Filter with 1.5"TC in/out. Uses 226/Fin filter sizes up to 20" Also has legs.
  • Vacuum Rotary Feet Through Shaft - With propeller -
  • DC motor controller & belt etc
  • 1 x Bichman RipTide Pump
  • 2 x 1.5" x 6" Sight glass
  • 2 x 1.5" Sight glass for lid
  • 1.5" TC x 26" Thermometer dip well / Thermowell
  • 2 x 1.5" Multi-position, locking ball valve - stainless
  • 3-way T Port ball valve 1.5" TC
  • 1.5" TC rotating spray ball
  • 2 x 2" to 1.5" TC Reducer (for condenser)
  • 2 x 1.5" TC 45 degree Y
  • 2 x 1.5" TC 90 degree bend
  • 1 x 1.5" TC U / 180 degree bend
  • 2 x 1.5" x 6" straight spool
  • 5 x 1.5" Blanking caps
  • 4 x 8" TC Clamps
  • 25 x 1.5" TC Clamps
  • 2 x 2" TC Clamps
  • 4 x 1.5" High Pressure TC Clamps
  • 4 x 1.5" TC to 1/2" BSP Female + 4 x Male
  • 4 x 1.5" to 1/2" Hose Barb + 4 x 1" Hose Barb
  • 3 x Rubberised mounting clamps for 8" spool - 10" Clamp
  • 2 x Rubberised mounting clamps for condenser + 2 for filter housing
  • Viton gaskets for everything + lots of spares.
  • Mixture of 1/2" BSP ball valves, adapters, 90s, Ts, air connectors etc. Loads of bits, 20 - 50 pcs probably. All stainless.

I dont want to get in trouble trying to sell something in the wrong area but if you’re interested it is in the classified on here already: Stainless Jacketed Reactor, Condensor & Filtration System + Loads of Extras For Sale

Thank you for all the kind words, it was a labour of love for sure. I’m in the UK and sadly the law and covid has forced our business to change so its no longer needed. Months of design and manufacture and I only got to use her 5 times :weary: ! I’m still to scared to add up what it cost me …

I will try and dig up some of the CAD files for the rotary feedthrough but it was mostly drawings on scrap paper in the shed :sweat_smile: but heres some close ups of it.

22 Likes

Kudos buddy! Love the DIY ingenuity of it all. Fan of this and will build one soon. Thank you @Kit

5 Likes

Thanks @Kit

5 Likes

Thanks man, thats awesome. Let me know how it goes!

4 Likes

Thank you
This piece is what has me intrigued
Any more details as to how you got things sealed and moving ?
Thx @Kit

4 Likes

WHAT IS THAT MOUNTING HARDWARE! I need…

1 Like

8020 aluminum extrusion

2 Likes

Its a good idea to be able to valve off each section. Id add a main dump valve to the collection so you can seperate the material column from the collection. I would actually not use the dump valve, rack mount it to a board and use smaller valves is what I wound up doing.

1 Like

I’m confused as to what you mean? There’s a main dump valve under the material column, right above the collection tank.

Im gonna remove the main ball valve under the material column. I don’t plan on doing any soaking.

I plan on building it up a bit more and rack mounting it in the future :call_me_hand: babysteps

for example- when I had a setup stacked like that I had a big ball valve on the collection, connected to another big ball valve on the column. That way I could take it apart without gas escaping. And that way I can pull vac on both parts and fit them into a freezer for hours to chill them.

1 Like

gotcha

Bit of a upgrade arrived today from the good guys at @goldleaf_scientific. CAT x 1000 homogenizer fresh from Germany with a g20 shaft and stand. Upgraded my glass collection a bit. Also ordered some quality stainless steel fittings and a nice winters pfp series gauge to replace the cheap Chinese fittings that came with my stainless steel vacuum chamber, probably over kill.

8 Likes

I get most of my fittings and valves off ebay. You can find some steals. Most companies wouldnt ever use any swageloks from ebay so they are cheap. But remember, these parts are found in someones toolbox after they retired or quit, they can be used. I got a batch of 45-8 valves and they were no good so buy from trusted sellers who offer returns.

3 Likes

Recently found a salvage yard that sells swagelok and parker fittings by the pound. Awesome

11 Likes

I was gonna get a fancy valve before that was used in a lab for gallium experiments. I figured gallium in the oil is a no no. Used valves and fittings are sketchy.

1 Like