Let’s talk silica

has anyone tried rice hulls as a silica source?

2 Likes

I posted a link to some in the thread where this discussion started, recyclesil is the brand

Good stuff…

3 Likes

Think about it like this…

Lets say we had a regressive clock, so instead of counting up on birth days we counted down. 75 days for most hybrids with 2 weeks veg and 79 years for a human. Looking at it like this a year for us is a day/year to a cannabis plant grown indoors. We need to cram the nutrition into the daily feeding for a very high growth rate. The plant or bio organisms don’t have the time to break things down and make them avaliable for the plant. It needs to be served in a form that can be transported and converted to glucose as rapidly as possible.

4 Likes

I appreciate you thinking I’d have some insight on the matter. But I don’t. Understanding nutrient uptake is not my strong suit. I currently don’t add anything to the cultured solutions feed schedule.

I do however spray Pro-Tekt silica in all my foliar feeds in veg and early flower along with agt-50 and some other goodies.

The new garden at work has some new challenges, and it’s been especially difficult to manage since I’m not there every day. After our recent episode of powdery mildew I think adding silica to the res is definitely the next right move.

9 Likes

Weigh horsetail.
Add equal parts of unprocessed sugar.
Chop it up and shove into a jar.
Cover with paper towel and rubber band.
Let sit for 3-5 days (warm/summer) or 5-9 days (cold/winter).
Drain out the liquid and store with minimal headspace.
Use 3ml /gal.
Good for 2 years if kept in a dark room temp/cold cabinet.

13 Likes

Foliar with h202 helps with pm, i dip all clones in it to start and good airflow. Pm is horrible here, its a constant battle. I do alot of foliar as preventative but you can spot spray the peroxide if you see if already forming.

3 Likes

I alternate between potassium bicarb at pH 9 and h2o2 to keep PM away

3 Likes

Ya that’s a good one too even just water ph’d to 8.5-9 works too.

2 Likes

I was using high ph water, but it wasn’t enough. I just decided to say fuck it on trying to take the flower to market and stopped spraying so it didn’t fuck up the extracts.

1 Like

o that makes a lot of sense. so to maximise I’d either use nutrients that can absorb the fastest/most efficiently(concentrates) or use soil that the rice hulls have already decomposed in so the silica is in a form the plants can absorb from the start

2 Likes

It’s typically $2,200-$2,400 for 20L & @BG305 is talking about needing over 10X that amount.

4 Likes

Fuck… $84 bucks for 500ml? That shit better be some REAL GOOD shit!

4 Likes

Agreed. Holy fuck. Its literally just silicic acid? Is that particularly difficult to produce?

5 Likes

I’m slightly height deficient would agt-50 help a guy like me grow a few more inches?

12 Likes

Theres no substitute for genetics.

Lol

13 Likes

Here is a fan leaf of Lava cake. Both are at around 30 days into flower. The one with the lights off is with AGT-50 and the second is with AGT-50 with power Si. AGT-50 put plenty of trichs on the fan leafs but the combo put them into over drive.

13 Likes

The power si is crazy expensive but ive seen good results from it, the granular is nice too. But goddamn the gallon price makes you cringe

2 Likes

https://recyclesil.com/products/recyclesil-1-lb?variant=32759046504536

I like this stuff.

4 Likes

Different product but I’m sure it does its job.

3 Likes

“Unlike other silica products, we work with the best possible silicic acid matrix (patented!) to ensure superior absorption.”

3 Likes