Let’s chop Tek

vapor mol sieve is a waste.

just freeze/ density separate from your solvent tank.

edit: recovery from 10c-60c depending on pressure/desired output

5 Likes

I agree, more hot more better, until the end of the run at least… then u better remove that heat.

4 Likes

The temperature of the solution being boiled is a direct result of the pressure of the system it’s in. Codistillation WILL happen at all temps, the lower the temp the less this occurs. If anyone needs their thermodynamic parameters calculated hmu.

7 Likes

What if the recovery side is strong and can keep it under 10psi?

1 Like

I don’t think codistillation always occurs, I believe it does with similar boiling points not so much when the BP differential is >20C. I’m sure volatility has a play in there somewhere but none that I’m to knowledgeable about

35 PSI does increase butanes BP by 18 degrees but it also increases the boiling point of every other compound pressurized keeping that BP diff even.

Anything under 15 psi and the boiling points are the same till ya near 0 psi-neg

3 Likes

Depending on whats all is being distilled it definitely does not keep the BP differential even, the parameters are everything… there is a distinction between boiling point and vapor pressure of a given compound.

Volume of the most volatile component is also a factor since it’s what is going to be producing the prezsure, and its that pressure that hinders vaporization of the less volatiles.

And like krative said, evaporative cooling from the solvent should keep the temp of the solution somewhat consistent, the pressure will increase with higher temperatures but as long as you can remove that vapor as it’s produced your solution will have the effect of evaporative cooling.

Another way to look at it is that when you maintain igher pressures (i.e. not able to evacuate and condense as it’s produced) you have the effect of being able to reach a higher temperature in the solvent solution.

In theory, you could run the recovery at whatever temp u want so long as you can maintain a low pressure by handling all the vapor. But it always makes sense to cut the heat when your solvent is close to gone and the solution is concentrated.

5 Likes

This covers the concept lightly.

Like this?

4 Likes

Yup @Waxplug1 once i start getting to a decent vac i start seeing the water come off and condenses on the the door until the vac evaporates it completely. Its quite humid where i live too (OKC) When i am drying media i dont use any vac, just heat, I leave the door cracked for the first day so that the moisture can leave so I dont have to wipe the door down all day. Anyone still wiping water needs to try this!

Side note my googlefu just found that Mol sieves can hold around 14% of its weight in water, Silica can hold 40% and Bentonite Clay can hold 8-15x its mass in water, So you may be on to something, i cant wait for someone to find a better solution, because i feel I need one!

3 Likes

I rock a regular oven at 425 for 4-6 hours. Works great, no condensation issues.

I’m putting a baked b80 cake together to try out. The diameter has to be 6in or more for faster flow of the vapors through the media. The way I’m doing this is with two sintered discs to hold the media in a spool

If I don’t see any more water/ice in my solvent tank I’ll know it’s working

2 Likes

Proper way to bake media, fully closed doors :muscle:t3:

1 Like

When i bake my b80, usually a couple kilos. It will spit water out of the vent hole, had to dedicate a whole oven to just b80, luckily no running that much but wow does it hold water

2 Likes

Dang that’s vaporizing the water for sure

1 Like

Have you tried the 13X sieve beads? I have had pretty good luck with them but I’m also running pretty dry material.

1 Like

I haven’t seen moisture in the w1 since winter and even then it was probably my fault. I think photon was right to describe the extra water as superficial or just on the surface area

I still haven’t seen a difference between baked or not baked when it comes to bleaching. Maybe the clay is actually absorbing the water and only adsorbs on its surface once it’s full

1 Like

Try a humid run lol

Then you’ll be running at a decently low temp. You’re still going to experience Co distillation at noticable levels at all temps but will def happen less if the pressure is kept low. This is the same reason propane gives the appearance of grabbing more terps even though it is not actually doing so, it just ends up leaving more behind in the collection due to the greater difference in boiling point between it and the other volatiles.

4 Likes

If I’m running really nice fresh frozen I use about 100F(43C) until 75-80% of the solvent is gone then I back it down to 90F(32C). For other stuff I’ll go up to 120F but with propane you have to watch pressure rise.

We discussed this subject a little bit last year in the Corken T-91 thread after someone thought using 150F(66C) on the collection pot was insane and it would actually heat the oil to that temperature, somehow thermally destroying terpenes that all have boiling points above 300F(149C).

As long as there is enough solvent left the temperature of the boiling solution will be determined by the pressure-temperature chart of the solvent not by the temp of the heat exchanger.

If the heat exchanger inlet is 150F and pressure in the pot is 23psig (butane) the solution temp is 80F.

If the heat exchanger inlet is 150F and pressure in the pot is 47psig (butane) the solution temp is 110F.

If the heat exchanger inlet is 150F and the pressure in the pot is 23psig (80F solution temp) but you are ok with the solution temp being 95F and want to recover as fast as possible you should increase the heat exchanger temp over 150F until the pressure in the pot is about 34psig which would give you a 95F solution temp.

The temp of your heat exchanger and how it correlates with the pressure you see in the pot will depend on your specific system’s setup, efficiency and current operation mode. My examples above with 150F are just hypothetical. Maybe your system’s Hx is very efficient and hits 23 psig with 90F on the collection pot.

The pressure/temp correlations of the solvent itself are set in stone based on the pressure-temp chart and are the same for everyone. Even if you hit 23psig at 90F and I need 150F both solution temps will still be 80F. That’s how latent heat works and that’s why I know the high temps aren’t a problem.

Of course as a propane advocate I have to mention that propane is the real king here. It has much lower solution temps with much higher corresponding pressures. Using pure propane is the single most effective way to increase recovery rate and keep the solution temps low.

4 Likes