LED Lighting Heat Issues?

Anybody else have issues with their LEDs producing a ton of heat in the rooms? I have 4 EagleGrowLights 650-Si’s in a 10x10 room and those things are getting my room up to 100 degrees, drivers feel hot to the touch and I have plenty of airflow. Wondering if it’s low quality manufacturing or if I’m cutting corner by not having supplemental cooling. Driving me nuts can’t keep my ppf in range without throwing my vpds off.

I dont use led currently but they do put off heat. You need to add up btu heatload and either ventalate air in air out or get mini split so u can do closed room and control enciorment. As in humidity co2 temp. I only vent to keep co2 levels down at nite. Im sure led has less heatload but they still grnerate heat

1 Like

Run your driver’s remotely/outside the tent.

Alternatively you can reduce your airflow in the tent, and run ducting straight to the top of your driver’s and literally suck the heat off them, you can use old AC hps hoods if you have them, but just a straight 6" duct should work.

2 Likes

I would say this.

4 Likes

If your LED drivers are getting hotter than you can touch , your efficiency (power in / power out converted to light) is poor.

Modern LED drivers can be 90 to 95% efficient. I have a meanwell that will push 280 watts but you can’t touch it at those watts. At 180 watts , I can palm it indefinitely.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with luxx 645s or gavitas 1700es and can comment on wether or not they produce decent amount of heat?

If my room gets a couple degrees over 70 then the tents are hot inside, I use 8 inch extractor fans into carbon filters. But- you need to run co2 with led and then the heat is actually not too bad a thing.

I have a gavita 1700 and yes they do make heat. A quick web search and random link says 2284 btu per hour.

1 Like

I have a gavita 1700 and im not sure if its better than my quantums. It does spread even but in my experience the plants can move energy around. Im using 1300 watts per 4x8 and yes it gets well over the ambient room temp