Lead contamination from smoking flower

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/full/10.1289/EHP12074

This study indicates a significant increase of lead concentration in the blood of cannabis users.

Am I reading this chart correctly?

Cause it seems to me the only elevated levels they found in people who smoke exclusively cannabis is Total Mercury, cadmium and strontium. Still no good, but not a “significant increase in lead contamination.”

The article itself doesn’t put lead in the title - just OP. Lead would seem to be more of a tobacco issue based on this data. Still not a fan of cadmium of course

3 Likes

My doctor recommends Marlboro brand menthol cigarettes.

7 Likes

I may have misread. I’ll go back

1 Like

There are some serious issues with this study. They don’t control for method of ingestion (a limitation of the Drug Use Questionnaire), and their non-user category includes MJ users who haven’t in the last 30 days.

1 Like

Ahhhh good ol nuclear material lacing us up with strontium in our teeth

1 Like

Yeah I’m confused. This chart and another seem to indicate less metals from cannabis use. Gotta go back and look more closely.

They say in the study that a big difference was noticed between people who had recently consumed and people who consumed over a month ago but I need to go back to the data I guess.

2 Likes

Talk about a smile that lights up your face.

2 Likes

My question would be if this was tested or traditional market stuff?

the mexi schwag prolly had lead in it to increase weight

1 Like

I think the data is from Canadian patients up to 2018.

XD at least some of us are metal AF :metal:

Whoever can sell soil without this list wins.

Cadmium remediation sounds impossible. Is hydro/aero our savior after all? Is all this stuff in the barrels of synthetic nutes that feeds the plants anyway?

I can buy soil, test it, grow in it, and still pop hot for these due to concentration and uptake by the plant. We grow using the same soil, adding amendments of various composts/teas. It should be the cheapest method if you already have tested soil.

So, unless you are growing KNF or some other no-till method, this is going to happen regardless of testing of the soil. It may be healthier to reuse soil.

Like, wtf, we were organic until I read that report. Now I might as well feed my grandma blunts mixed with fishing weights.

Would those soils just need to be planted for three years to “rid” the deposits? Instead of “earn a buck” by shooting a doe first, you might be compelled to plant industrial hemp first, then your smokables.

4 Likes

Cannabis is great in its bioaccumulation. But in the same regards they’ve never recommended planting hemp or growing cannabis as a row crop for more then a few years without a crop rotation.

Cadmium is a big issue with a lot of nutrients. Lead is an issue with water supplies (don’t worry about that organic lead lol).

3 Likes

So in all reality none of this consumed flower was ever tested for heavy metals.

1 Like

Do any of the test subjects shoot firearms?