LD-3 Centrifuge - Broken Motor?

Left her on over night, woke up to no spinning, just some clicking. The clicking won’t stop lol. Even when it’s unplugged and turned off. Anyone had this problem?

(The vibration was my phone)

I suspect a thermal fuse in the motor.

It got hot enough that it decided to commit suicide rather than set your house on fire.

Rather kind of a $179 centrifuge to make that sacrifice for you.

The clicking is the mechanical timer.

I advise dissection

10 Likes

Ah yeah you’re right I forgot I was messing with the timer. Thanks for the reply, will do some tearing apart, and worst case maybe get a little bigger of a centrifuge. Use this as a sign to upgrade.

Unfortunately most thermally protected motors have the fuse embedded deeply enough that you can’t replace them (easily)…it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get it back.

But dissection might reveal something simpler to fix…and will allow you to test the motor independently of everything else.

2 Likes

So I’m double stupid, and this bad boy has a fuse replacement hole in the back. It’s just really annoying to get out and also seems like there’s a nut back there holding the fuse into place, which promptly fell as soon as I took the fuse out lol. So definitely gotta do some dissecting, but I’m hoping I can just replace the thermal fuse.

Might be as simple as soldering that back where it lives…because unless you cut wires to get that out, it looks like disconnected wires were your culprit.

1 Like

100% disconnected wires! Look at the inside of this piece of shit haha

Wires all spun up and tangled. Now I’m no rocket scientist, but if I had to guess, the white and red wires should be connected to that fuse lol.

Sorry to make a post out of this, but hopefully someone else will run into the same goof and at least have a better idea. I’ll report back if I can get it working.

3 Likes

I suspect the twisted wires was you removing the fuse holder…

So that may not solve your problem.

:crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Feeling dumber by the minute but at least I’m learning, ha. I don’t even own a soldering iron so I might as well take this L, sell for parts, grab a fancy one I suppose. Glad this happened during a recrystallization experiment and I already have enough fuged off THCa around to play with.

Thank you for the replies, I do appreciate them a ton.

I like butane powered soldering irons…because more often than not I need a soldering iron when I has not electrickery.

If you don’t have a multi-meter, now would also be a good time.

Both can be had from harbor freight. I’ve not actually tried their soldering irons, but their meters work well enough for basic trouble shooting if they work at all (1 doa out of 4 or 5).

2 Likes

I found one of these at a surplus store for $150, but it’s missing inserts. Think I could get by with some 3d printed inserts to hold tubes? Lol

1 Like

know

squeezed an extra one in there too (actually the OEM adapter holds only FOUR tubes, we got six in there!!)

4 Likes

Impressive and awesome!! Looks like the one I got is too shallow to hold the 50ml tubes, so I might have to switch to ball jars and some 5u polypropylene filter bags cut up to fit them how I do the rosin bags in the tubes currently.

Show me.

The rotor on the one you pointed at looks like it would work (I get that it’s not the one you scored for $150).

If the buckets will hold a pint jar or even a 12oz jar, they should hold 50ml tubes. Least the hight of a 50ml tube is less than that of a pint jar

1 Like

Welcome dm

OEM is available

1 Like

So here’s a few pics

With the tubes, it hits the rotor, not sure if that would be an issue at all. Then with the taller jars, it misses the rotor but it does bottom out and touch the underside of the fuge. Feels like the wide mouth 8oz jars are the move if they’ll fit, which I’m not sure they will. So might even have to do the 4oz ball jars, but at least I’d still be able to do a couple oz at a time. Lmk what you think.

Edit: I’m thinking since the whole thing spins, fuck it I’m gonna try it anyways. I doubt it wouldn’t work, but it just might not be the most ideal angle for the sauce to spin out.

Do you know what material that is exactly?

1 Like