Large short path evaporator for solvent recovery and distillation.

I am wondering if it is possible to use a large short path evaporator to recovery solvent and concentrate our oil all at once instead of a standard thin film evap and then going to a short path. I am looking at the larger industrial types and not the glass table tops. Something in the range of 10-30 sqft. We are still working on our output volumes from extraction. We will though have a already concentrated oil ethanol mix from our extraction along the lines of what you would have if you did 3 cold washes with the same ethanol.

:man_facepalming:

5 Likes

You need a consult. Not being rude, just trying to help.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxc62jgBWui/?igshid=18i3pfl11zfto

3 Likes

Oh boy… well all the info is in the forum

Don’t people use FFE for large evap and concentration

1 Like

Yes you can use the spd-7 that way. There’s a post about it a couple days ago I posted.

I guess it would clean itself before the run!

Thin film is used to separate the cannabinoid fractions. Falling film is a high output solvent recovery. Short path distillation is also used to separate the cannabinoid fractions. You can use a SPD head as a “pot still” without any reflux to pull your solvent from your tincture but it’s not very efficient.

3 Likes

The problem we have found with falling film is clean up. Yes everything needs a clean process but I have heard falling is worse. The larger short path use the same thin film and have a vapor outlet as well as the residual and distillate. So the benchtops I get they don’t work but on the larger units is there a possible use.

Question is has anyone used an industrial size before and what did it do?

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

I’d rather see you buy @spdking 's summit spd 7 with a peristaltic dosing feed pump and a stainless steel heat exchanger skid teed off to a diaphragm pump then switch over to normal spd procedure.