Large Scale SPD Operators

Interested in connecting with folks that are operating larger scale SPDs. For reference, our minimum run on our production system is about 60L and is capable of runs twice that amount. I think there are some unique challenges in operating a system this size that might benefit from some info sharing.

3 Likes

I’ve ran a few big boys in my day.

The bigger the system the longer the day. If you’re having to run that thicc girl for 12 hours to run it dry you may see increased degradation in your boiling flask.

Definitely saw better results with nitrogen but at the end of the day if I wanna make perfect disty I’m on the 5l. The bigger systems seem to be good for hot and fast first passes and then finishing on a smaller rig

12 Likes

I have 50 liter short paths. They run very fast. You need to use discharge pumps. They are extremely efficient. The liters per hour on 22 or 50 liter spds dollar per dollar beats out wipers and production is of excellent quality.

4 Likes

Can we get a video of a 50l 2 hour run please?

19 Likes

Plant works group has like 40-60ft spd, it’s a bute.

4 Likes

That would be dope. I just want to see a video of a system that big running I haven’t seen it outside of some tests

7 Likes

20 is massive … Imagine 50 won’t be a table top

2 Likes

The mantle is the table :+1:

8 Likes

50L and above I’d want a drain on the bottom so I don’t have to take the whole thing apart

Warm solvent will clean the system pretty easy, I just would hate lifting that 50L ball off the table everytime

8 Likes

You are supposed to use a stainless suction straw and you can easily suck it out, glass drain valves leak.

2 Likes

Just get a wiper at that point

7 Likes

But wait, there’s more.

Now we have a dosing pump on our spd

6 Likes

Where you located @dIGITALmEAT

Happy to come out and play for a few days if you want :call_me_hand:

If you shoot me an email
Rowan@luminarymedicine.com
I will get you into contact with someone running a 150L still.

2 Likes

Why not wipe? My wiper oil is consistently 5% more potent than any spd work filled to 50% BF capacity. I only use SPD for sub par crude( after one pass on a wiper) and fraction cleanups.

Welcome to the community, @dIGITALmEAT. How big is your system, exactly? One generally keeps the volume of crude to be distilled at 50% of capacity or lower. Do you have a 240L short path or are you loading the flask super heavy? Have any COAs to share on product run through this monster? Pictures?

I would imagine a fair amount of degradation to be present in the distillate after that long cooking.

2 Likes

Degredation doesn’t occur with just increasing size of spd, it has more to do with inefficient opperation and excess rejection

1 Like

A proper short path exceeds wipers dollar per liter performance and output quality. You can refine further in a spd than a wiper bc wipers take generalized body each time.

4 Likes

“Have” as in operate or you sell them?

There’s definitely a drain on the bottom and collection vessels are on a carousel and removed via overhead winch.