Kombucha fermentation

I’m wrong most yeast produce HS, there’s ones that produce minimal amounts than others. Finding a yeast or even enzyme which could catalyst HS metabolism would be a novel application. One solution mentioned was nutrients another was copper

no shit, I should know that one too. Too baked to be on this forum i think. I’m well aware of the copper scrubbie head packing trick for sulfur rich crude.

Actually i think that has to be done with the sulfur in vapor

edit 2. nope. can be done cold

edit 3. Low PH environments and copper don’t mix

Try adding more sugar to feed it more and produce more co2. When in doubt you can just add some club soda to get the carbonation level exactly where you want it without changing the tartness. It’s cheating but a well carbonated bottle of booch really hits the spot after a big meal.

1 Like

its not the sugar as far as I have ascertained. It is the other nutrients the yeast eat. Apparently there is a feedstock i can use called Fermaid K that will clear it up if using more tea doesn’t

I’ve never made kombucha but in other fermentations that I have done a amylase was required to break down the proteins for the yeast to eat rather than throwing sugars at them.

1 Like

yes, but you were fermenting from starches like grain if I am understanding correctly. kombucha is a simple sweet tea as the starting base, so there would be no need to amylase enzymes to break down starch unless I added a starch source, correct?

1 Like

I mean if that’s what you want to do, go for it. It seemed you were asking for ideas. A bit more sugar will increase carbonation. That’s a pretty standard practice for second fermentation and it didn’t sound like you were doing that. I’m sure there’s other ways to do it but it doesn’t get much easier than adding some sugar.

I have done sugar by itself

I’ve been brewing kombucha for about 6 months now; the best flavors I’ve found so far are apple, pear and cinnamon; tastes just like an apple cider when doneo right. Recently I made a plum pomegranate one that came out really good! Got a monster scooby that could def shed a few babies if anyone in the bay area wants to get down on some boochin…

3 Likes

couple years back I had an extra oven laying around so i decided to stick my brew in it…

now I use the 1 gallon kombucha heaters that you can get off amazon for like $30

2 Likes

im using a small hotpad to keep my brew at temp

1 Like

yeah it helps speed up the fermentation for sure

I can confirm there are several sources of organic acids beneficial for plants and humans:

• Shale and Shilajit provides a huge array of organic acids. You want to make sure you don’t have long chain organic acids like humic, which can damage the kidneys.
  • Wood vinegar is primarily acetic acid, but there’s huge amounts of potential beneficial substances based on source material and combustion temperature.
  • Lactobacillus culture- (LABS) KNF and JADAM folks can tell you all about this one.
  • Kombucha- primarily acetic acid again, but there are many more beneficials that are especially helpful with gut health.
2 Likes