Kombucha fermentation

So, this is a thread for all things kombucha! I will be starting my first batch shortly, and had planned a few different experiments that i will be cataloging here, but this is not “my” thread, anyone feel free to share your booch brewing successes or failures

4 Likes

Just because… Cannabis Kombucha

3 Likes

yeah ill need to do double ferment thc containing booch. standard stuff doesnt have enough ethanol to hold the amount of thc id want

Kombucha ain’t shit Jun is at least 1000x better and fermented with green tea/honey instead of black tea/sugar

7 Likes

Ya well my lerp liquid beats all

1 Like

Two really amazing papers about the Boch, That being said

Has any tried to make boch from straight cannabis tea like make a tea from trim and add sugar and Scoby?

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-19456-1_12-1.pdf

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/1541-4337.12073

1 Like

We are about 50% through our qualitative and quantitative analysis of our shale deposit that goes into AGT-50 for Ag and human health using tools like mass spec. We have a majority of the organic acids identified from bacteria, enzyme and peptide digestion. There just aren’t reference samples for 30 million years worth of plants, animals and fragments of broken down organic materials. Ha.

OK, mental segue- organic material analysis.

• Has anyone done an analysis of the cultures that go into a SCOBY?
  • Are there common strains or ratios of bacteria or yeast?
  • What organic acids that are beneficial to human health are produced in kombucha and jun? (lactic, acetic etc.?)

Just like humic/fulvic/pyroligneous acid (wood vinegar), it also leads me to believe that kombucha/jun would be beneficial to plant health.

8 Likes

I remeber this bar in LA mixing terpenes and kombucha. Really interesting stuff. I wanted to open something similar around me, but I highly doubt that the locals would even know what terpenes are let alone kombucha

If anyone wanted to check out the bar here it is https://prankbar.com/

here is one of the drink they serve

house booch: white grapefruit, ginger root, limonene terpene

2 Likes

Ginger pomegranate iirc. Wife does all the work on these :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ll have trim soon, we should try that :thinking: I’m thinking blood orange. Or mango.

5 Likes

Finally, someone comes up with something I might use this stuff for…

2 Likes

Well, I am 4 days into f1 on my first batch. Started with a baby pellicle + starter tea. Day one and two I didn’t notice much activity beyond a bit of yeast/sediment at the bottom of the vessel, I guessed it was likely too low temp in the house, so I used what I had available to gently heat it (a lava lamp + a towel wrapped around both). I have a thin layer of cellulose now on top of the bottle, and good yeast growth

After this batch I am gonna condition a pellicle to survive on green tea + honey and make some Jun

3 Likes

One of the very best things you can add to your kombucha is bee pollen. And humic acid is another one too, but shilajit tastes like shit.

2 Likes

Bee pollen is great for allergies.

I would stay away from ingesting humic acid. Being long chain, it can overload your kidneys. I would stay with a light weight, easily digestible fulvic acid with amino/organic acids and micronutrients. :wink:

4 Likes

I guess I should have been more specific with my choice of words but I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that fulvic acid falls under the category of humic acid. Its just a low mol weight variety of humic acid.

I’ve never read any study indicating that eating shilajit is going to cause kidney damage but i am interested in reading about that. Could you link an article or were you just promoting your own fulvic product?

1 Like

I forgot to put “shameless plug” in the post, but we do human, animal and plant health.

When I get in front of my work computer I can send you info on humic acid and kidneys.

3 Likes

Ok, so I now have 2 healthy 1g brews going, I am doing a continual style fermentation and just pouring off the kombucha as it finishes and refilling, as the spigot style glassware is overpriced for its function.

I am having no issues with F1, and am getting slightly fizzy, tangy, effective booch. My issue lies with attempting to do a second fermentation to up the carbonation levels. Plain sugar, honey, or even apple puree all tend to produce off scents, specifically hydrogen sulfide. The hydrogen sulfide presents itself after even 1 day of sealed fermentation after adding pure sugar, and becomes more pronounced at about day 3, with no reduction of sensory levels of it regardless of how many additional days I ferment.

The 2nd ferment is done in low light, kept between 70-80 degrees in Freedom units

This has for now caused me to give up on 2nd fermentation, any ideas as to what I can do

Yeast conditioning with a specific strain which consume HS. I’ll try to find something I saw previously.

1 Like

this is why i didn’t even bother asking reddit’s kombucha community :smiley:

1 Like

You’d probably have more luck on brew forums

I should have thought of that, and googled before I came here. I think I have a handle on the issue. Quite simply, i think brewing stronger tea will fix it. It appears to be a nitrogen deficiency