Know your substrate

https://www.drmyc.com/products/puremgp

Anyone have any idea what this might be made of?

Or the Trichevict?

1 Like

Probably a blend of bacterial probotics like what are in animal feed, say for chickens or horses, and other things like nitrogen fixers. Chicken and horse probiotics tend to be good at breaking cellulose into smaller chains to improve digestion.

I’ve used fermented substrate for the last 3.5 years and it absolutely kills the yields I was getting from fresh sub. Also saw a reduction in contamination by fermenting before cooking, since it gives everything a chance to germinate. Living organisms are generally more susceptible to high temperatures than spores.

5 Likes

When you say germinate, you mean the spores and not the grains right?

1 Like

@StoneD (ficklepickle got it, thank you) can you branch this into a new thread starting at the replied post, I feel as if it’s an important discussion on substrate that is separate from the Original post

3 Likes

endospores within the medium itself, usually the germinated spore is weaker than than the spore itself.

when people do an overnight soak on grains before sterilization they take advantage of this concept.

I started looking at this a few months ago bc it’s the only product line of it’s kind in the space. also I asked a couple buddies that buy in bulk and know the owner.

“it’s a proprietary mycorrhizal blend without trich harzianum”

here’s the educated guess: MGP has nutrients like fulvic, humic, amino acids with beneficial microbes while trich evict is a microbe heavy mix to outcompete predator molds

as for alternatives. my local hydro shop has a few different mycorrhizal blends without trich. they even have a coir thats already innoculated with a compatible set of beneficial microbes. it’ll take a bit of testing but it seems straight forward.

3 Likes

I doubt it has humic substances in it, I would assume that those compounds would only make contamination worse. They provide everything any microorganism could ever want, im leaning toward it being a specific mix of microorganisms that can out compete trichoderma as long as they’re given time to set up shop first.

@FicklePickle can you move this post and the one above it into the thread you just created please

3 Likes

Are you sure it’s mycorrhizal fungi that’s doing the work and not some other symbiotic fungi that’s specific to mushrooms.

I only ask because I know some psilocybin containing species are symbiotic with mycorrhizal fungi, but not cubensis. Could it just be that cubensis can outcompete the mycorrhizal fungi in theory? Because it sounds like the product is marketed to all species of mushrooms, thats what makes me think it’s not symbiotic fungi but rather something that is just geared right to out compete trich but can easily be outcompeted by mushroom mycelium.

Think I could just get some of the MGP sequenced to see what all is in there as far as microbiology?

1 Like

mgp is different than trich evict is different than mgp 20/80 so make sure you double check the claims of the product.

yeah sequencing would give you some direction on blend.

that seems to be the principle it works on.
it’s highly likely the saprophyte is feasting the microbe blend, whatever it may be. it outcompetes trich / trich can’t predatorize the blend but the cultivated mushroom can.

1 Like

My guess is that it is a mix of Azospirillum Brasilense that can fix N and Rhizophagus Intraradices that would out-compete trich, but not mycelium.

@Franklin Humic substances contain humates and carbon that would allow overall better health of a culture. It’s when you get into organic acids like gallic acid in certain mineral deposits that can have antibacterial properties.

3 Likes

@Franklin yes, I mean the competitor microbes germinate and they’re easier to kill.

Mycorrhizal spores are, IMO, useless in this context without a tree or plant to capture carbon. They’re obligate symbionts and won’t germinate without some pretty specific salts, at some pretty specific ppm, added to agar media.

Azospirillum is a possibility for the nitrogen fixers, or actinomycetes, or azotobacter, the last two have been studied for adding to fungi.

Azotobacter study-

Another interesting thing to consider is that the nitrogen fixers may not meet meet typical definition used for plants. Typically that definition means the bacteria produces plant available ionic nutrients, but bacteria are rich in amino acids and can grow in nitrogen depleted soils. So they’re also fixing atmospheric N, just not a plant available form. Fungi can consume bacteria for amino acids, and by extension nitrogen, since their food sources aren’t necessarily ionic.

A lot of chicken probiotics are meant to help the birds digest normally indigestible cellulose compounds. That’s what I’m using, with an added cellulase enzyme packet. Make bags, add enzymes/probiotics, allow it to ferment for 48 hours, then sterilize.

In this first video you can see where I was wrapping up the yield study for this experiment. Notice some bags have about 1/2 the mushrooms as other bags, then in the last picture the clusters are HUGE by comparison.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhXhSVpFwp_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh0IuVBFAyO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhou6GkFMaK/

4 Likes

i wouldnt add any live substances to your substrate. The number one way to prevent contamination is clean spawn and clean substrate. I assume you add this after pasteurization/sterilization, you will also be adding contam when you do. Also, all the added nutes mean more nutes for all the bad stuff too. Source or make clean sub and you will solve 99% of your contamination issues.

@MycoFlora What do you have to say about MGP? I’ve only heard good things.

We personally didnt see a difference in the main species that our clients were cultivating. But, a buddy grows gourmet mushrooms and he definitely did see an increase in yield for certain varieties, usually the ones that dont yield as much r, but not much in the way of trich prevention. But to be fair, he really doesnt have an issue with trich anyways. It maybe more beneficial for certain varieties.

@Franklin see above