Know your enemy (Septoria Leaf Spot)

Today we have the first but hopefully not last request for an entry in the Know your Enemy Series, from the homeboy @Autumn_Ridge_Hemp; and we’re going to be talking about Septoria Leaf Spot.

This is honestly something that you might not even realize has been affecting your outdoor or greenhouse crops, it could easily be mistaken for a nutrient deficiency especially since as time passes it could just clear up on its own. My own experience with Septoria seems to center around my cutting stock in the nursery (Largely because it is difficult to ensure the area is free of leaf debris) and sometimes in my production areas if the canopies get too dense and the humidity is high.
Example of early stage Leaf Septoria that could be mistaken for calcium deficiency

Symptomology:
Septoria leaf spot can start on any portion of the leaves of your plant, but typically it will begin on the lower leaves and gradually spread up the plant; even affecting the stem eventually if the diseases is allowed to progress long enough. Initial symptoms of the disease consist of small dark brown spots like pin-pricks, which gradually increase in size and turn lighter colors and eventually gray-white as the tissue is aborted. Oftentimes the area around the spots will also dry and crisp up, causing various forms of leaf distortion beyond the spotting for which the disease is named. Defoliation is the next step in the progression of the disease, and leaves will turn brown and drop off; the detritus from this event will also spread it to unaffected plants nearby in the right conditions.

Above photo courtest of @Autumn_Ridge_Hemp ; great example of an advanced Septoria Infection

Cultural Control Methods:
Ideally, you’ll want to set yourself up to not experience issues with Septoria in the first place, you can mitigate your risk of infection by following a few simple steps in your grow area. To start, make sure you prune your plants properly for airflow. During veg, and again during flower, you have opportunities to ensure that your canopies don’t develop “bird-nesting” or otherwise create environments that will easily trap moisture and humidity and allow Septoria as well as other fungus to thrive. On a related note to that, remove any pruned foliage (and especially foliage you removed due to infection!) from your grow area for disposal. Failure to remove leaf debris is probably the most common cause for infection and re-infection of your plants. Crop rotation can help majorly here, as Septoria can overwinter in the soil readily, but in the event you don’t have enough room for that proper sanitation of the area takes on another level of importance.

Above an example of a leaf just before it succumbs to Septoria and drops

Now I know you all know the importance of weed-removal for general plant health, but in this case it becomes even more important since many weeds are excellent hosts for Septoria and will readily pass it on to your crop. Weeds such as horse nettle, motherwort, and various nightshades are notoriously susceptible to Septoria and will spread it if given the opportunity. Its important to remove weeds that are close to your grow as well as manage the ones that are in the area as well. Sometimes it even pays to spray them with fungicides if you know you wont be able to keep up on removal.

Now say you’ve pruned all your infested foliage, removed it from the area, and burned the whole pile along with the clothes you were wearing. Is that enough?! Well, hopefully yes but actually…no. You can also do a few more things that will help prevent future outbreaks and really are a generally decent idea to integrate into your system anyway. Once you’ve removed all infested foliage, and cleared the area completely of leaf detritus, allow your soil to dry down completely and then place a thick layer of mulch down on your rows. Not only will this help with water retention in your soil, but it will help to suppress any fungal pathogens that might remain in the soil from rising up onto your plants.

Chemical Controls:
If you’re like me, you’ve always got your finger on the trigger. Well close your eyes and squeeze, there are plenty of perfectly safe fungicides to use on your crops preventatively for Septoria. Pretty much any general use fungicide should be labeled for Septoria since its so common, so it should be relatively easy and relatively affordable to find one that you feel comfortable using. Personally I am a fan of Cease (Bacillus Subtilis) Milstop (Potassium Bicarbonate) or Zerotol 2.0 (Hydrogen Peroxide).

How has everyone else dealt with Septoria or other fungal infections in their growing area?

7 Likes

Yes, we are having big problems right now with Septoria in GA. 10 days of no sun and high humidity is causing prime conditions. Also lots of Southern Stem Blight at the moment. We rely on Cease and Zerotol to combat.
IMG_20200901_104556|666x500

2 Likes

Oof my condolences to your poor crop, thats a really tough situation. How have Cease and Zerotol been performing as control agents for you? Also, do you have any other tips for trying to control Septoria or other blights that you can share with the gang?

Its not all bad, picture is leftover CBD clones being neglected in GA. Cease seems to work fine in rotation for control. We also use Kopa as a preventative but I am not sure on its effectiveness against Septoria. I have yet to find anything effective for Southern Stem Blight, have only seen this in field production, but once plants are infected its over… It’s best to carefully remove and bag infected plants then carry away from other plants. I have heard planting Corn will remediate Blight infected soil.

I have attached our IPM program w/rates. We are constantly adjusting this regimen but have found success mitigating most pestilence with this schedule and rates.

Also here is a better shot of our TN productions

HHII Hemp IPM - Sheet1 (1).pdf (49.8 KB)

5 Likes

Beautiful greenhouse bro, is this where you mostly see the Septoria or is it in the field? I’m not familiar with Southern Stem Blight but it sounds like a real bear of a problem, your IPM scouts must have keen eyes to cover all that field space. Thanks for sharing your IPM schedule, do you find that by day 26 you have eliminated the Septoria or otherwise reduced it below EDT?

Thanks a lot, I see Septoria in the greenhouse more than the field. I should have mentioned the IPM schedule is our normal rotation for our greenhouse clone production. We do our best to stick to this schedule and repeat, with application at least every 3 days. I found that we can keep the stock “clean” of pest and fungus following this program. The Stem Blight is terrible in the southeast, especially Atlanta South but had it in SC last year too. I have only seen Stem Blight in field production.

I see, so you continue the rotation in the field as well throughout flower? Do you have any pictures of the stem blight? I’m curious what it looks like

1 Like

Last year we sprayed as much as feasible in the field, but really only amounted to a good application once a week. It’s seems the UV rays and outside environment keep some of the soft body pests at bay.

Oh wow that must be heartbreaking when you find that in the field, how is the stem blight spread? I’ve seen kind of similar damage caused by burrowing insects but the mycelium on the crown is kind of unique looking.

Verticillium and fusarium are the wilt diseases of tomatoes. I wonder if the organisms are related to the stem rot. They turn the inside of a tomato stem brown. I would guess the mycelium is not the disease itself, but just colonizing already dead material.

And thanks for the septoria thread. The sprays mentioned for treatment are all new to me. You mentioned other plants carrying it. Last year I am convinced I had it from a volunteer tree that turned yellow in July. I was going to cut it down, but apparently the septoria killed it.

3 Likes

It’s scary when you start to see it but overall it only infected 3% or so of the field. Here’s a picture before harvest last year. You can see one real dead blight plant in the pic. The spores can be carried by wind, rodents, pests, water, ect.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the photos. Haven’t ever had anything like that.

2 Likes

thanks for the Info!

It’s Septoria season again.

1 Like