Kitchen home brew help alcohol recovery equipment

Which of these would work better for recovering ethanol/isopropyl. The glass would have a stirring hotplate, shallow vacuum, and ice water for the condenser. The ultimate goal is to create something vapable/smokable with minimal resources. I’ve been going back and forth for two weeks and can’t decide what might work best. I’ve heard an inline condenser can help with losses on the countertop machine, but I just don’t know how bad the heat is gonna hurt; do we need the vacuum? I’m also wondering how fast the glass apparatus might go?, the other one seems to be at least a liter an hour? Thanks everybody

search

Oh yeah, I read that one, lol. Been reading a lot. My main question is does anyone know what’s about the speed difference for these two set-ups?

I get about a liter per hour from a similar glass set up with a 1000ml boiling flask with no vacuum. You may be able to go a little faster with vacuum, and definitely will be able to recover at lower temps, which will help to keep your oil a little nicer. No experience with the air still, but glassware will let you have more options in the future for multiple different uses.

I’d suggest a heating mantle with magnetic stir bar over a hotplate, especially if running a round bottom boiling flask. If you’re going to start with a hotplate, an erlenmeyer flask with a flat bottom would be more efficient for heat transfer.

Don’t forget to get a couple decent lab stands and an assortment of clamps and rings to hold everything.

3 Likes

I have a 5 liter roto vape if ur interested:)