It's Willbillytek. Duh

It’s a pretty standard method for crystallization but the trick is the solvent

1 Like

I thought @Dukejohnson said he was doing it with just butane?

Perhaps I’m remembering wrong.

3 Likes

Poly want s a cracker :joy:

5 Likes

You can absolutely pull off Ostwald ripening with a single solvent, multiple people are using only butane and some using pentane.

adding an additional solvent can speed the process up but it’s not required.

4 Likes

There’s a lot of different ways to crystallize and you can combine multiple techniques.

I want to try extracting in menthol and then use warm water as an antisolvent. Reasonable? What about menthol/limonene with ethanol or isopropanol as a cosolvent and then evaporate off the isopropanol?

I think i could come up with a lot of bad ideas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea, but how many qualify for the official Bad IdeaTM appellation?

I hear CO2 evaporates well…@tweedledew

4 Likes

I was using another solvent in my fast crash experiments (but don’t recommend) and yes there are more parameters than just that, but it does really change things when you find the ideal solvent (or combo/blend)

2 Likes

Try acetone that’s been dried with molsieves

1 Like

I love how this thread has turned the word solvent into a mystery

5 Likes

I’ve seen instant crashes by opening up the collection while wet with residual butane, and adding a splash of pentane. Basically add enough pentane so that way when all the butane has evaporated, the solution is super saturated.

Another variable is the temperature. In this example my solution was at the temperature of the evaporation of the isobutane. Evaporation will cool your solution. A hot oven dissolved my instant crash so I need to go a bit slower heating it up next time.

6 Likes

Turpentine and vacuum/heat cycle for sure smell like christmas the lab

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325064213_Menthol-based_hydrophobic_deep_eutectic_solvents_Towards_greener_and_efficient_extraction_of_phytocannabinoids

Seems reasonable.

1 Like

I dont think acetic acid and methanol will create a delicious dab.
Maybe for reX or making edibles/capsules/etc but vinegar terps don’t sound deliciius

3 Likes

I agree. But I also think if people are going to use menthol as the solvent most of the cannabis terps would be overwhelmed also.
I found this article a while back and thought I’d share since someone wanted to attempt to use menthol.
I like some regular bho stones or dry sift personally.

3 Likes

Yeah, any alcohol extracts I’ve tried have been devoid of tasty terps

2 Likes

You can still distill a cryoethanol extract and fractionate out the good terpenes and mix back into the cannabinoid fraction for a good vape cartridge recipe.

5 Likes

Distillation of these terp fractions MUST be done at 1x -8 Mmbar and the bf placed in a icewater bath at least lower than 23 C
Dubbele coldtrap no water present in solution

9 Likes

You have to read all of them again, and also read the supporting material provided.

1 Like

It’s not really Xmas at all, that was a strange misdirection that has been taking far too seriously. Kinda sweet and Blueberry-ish, at least the one I got. Like, in a good way, it smells like fresh port-a-potty water. Without the pee and poop, obviously

15 Likes

Like blue raspberry cool aid

8 Likes