Its not iSoBuTaNe! A theory for cause of "Medusa"

I missed some thing? Who described a doubling of MP temp?
Thanks.

2 Likes

My own personal tests… previously I was able to melt (120f) / decarb in a 150-180f oven, now 250f won’t do the trick in the same oven. This is why I asked if others have experienced a melting point change since experiencing the medusa rocks. That is a pretty drastic change in melting point to not be overlooked.

6 Likes

Wondering if it may be related somehow to the heat stable amine salts… :thinking:

4 Likes

Someone at solvent direct told me it was benzene and everyone gets gas from the same supplier so it’s in every tank in the us.

He also told me his customers say his gas alleviate 90% of the issue which makes zero sense and he couldn’t elaborate so I’m calling bs.

Asked him if they could start water washing and passing their gas through 13x for customers.

5 Likes

So the medusa are melting at 240 F or so?
I am sorry I missed that point.

Can I ask if you added a CRC step during this transition…of observations. Can you reproduce your original mp ….in any manner…like recrystallizing medusa from pentane…and then redo you mp study. Off the top of my head…I would guess you have something like a Ca++ salt dimer. That is a radical observation…
Everyone should know medusa have a fundamentally different
Physical property. do I understand you correctly.

If my memory serves me, there have been other posted comments concerning the wide variation of mp of THCA i.e.,
Other than this post.

Do you attribute this observation to “impurity in Butane gas”?
If so what ever the impurity is…if it acted directly as a co-crystal entity, the mole fraction in the butane would have to be enormous.
So if a minor butane contaminant, it may well have to act as a crystallization catalyst.

Regards,

3 Likes

That someone doesnt know what they are talking about, if it was benzene we would all know as its one of the active tested impurities.

Solevnt direct gas is not free of the fast crash issue.

4 Likes

They eluded to the timing of the events coinciding but had no analytics to back up their claim.

of course they didnt, because it was a lie.

5 Likes

Not a great look for them but not my zoo not my moneys right?

My out loud guess is something to do with the catalysts changing due to pandemic stuff and some side reactions occurring creating a small amount of weird solvent or chemical that’s causing it. It probably doesn’t affect their non cannabis customers so they don’t care.

What do you use 99.9 for besides weed shit? Analytical stuff? Other extractions?

You are right. Whoever it was doesn’t know what they are talking about. None of us do yet. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be discussing this with our customers. We have made no claims of being immune to fast crashing or medusa issues, nor claims that we know the cause.

I don’t think benzene is the issue, but the whole benzene debacle did occur around the time the other issues first started popping up. Not saying they are tied together, but I am saying it is a good indicator of some major change upstream in the hydrocarbon supply around that time.
Didn’t know we need analytics to back this up. Is this not known, at least amongst those of us following these issues?

We only sell gas to the extraction industry. We have friends, family, and other loved ones across the country using the products created by extractors just like you. You are our main focus to ensure safe, clean product for consumers. Your process and bottom line matters to us. We want you to be successful in extraction whether you buy your gas from us, or one of the other excellent suppliers here.

3 Likes

We don’t know what is causing the issue any more than you guys do. I wish I could say differently, but I can’t. We are just as interested in finding answers as everyone else here.

We have some old gas stashed away, and a PhD analytical chemist with years of hydrocarbon experience ready to work with us. If you are having these issues and are interested in working together towards an answer, let me know. We would be honored to come out and help greater minds than ours come together to address these issues.

2 Likes

Rosin melts at high temps like that too

It’s now in Ohio too. CannaGas supplier N-butane

you referring to THCA isolated with rosin press right ?

1 Like

I’m referring to an attempt of mine to bring rosin to its melting point to make diamonds. 150 f overnight did nothing. Shatter and sugar and crumble from a bho extract will often melt at about 115-130 f.

There is a difference between the melting point of a solution (terps and thca) and the melting point of pure thca for sure.

4 Likes

Can you water wash and pass your liquid gas through 13x from now on?

3 Likes

What kinda results are people actually seeing form 13x and AA? I’ve ran a few test runs with very heavily scrubbing the gas during distill. 1:1 13x/AA. Next run crashed out hard! (All on the bottom of the base, not the side growth as you recover) tried less Aa, same result all the same material and strain (purple punch) So I’m just not seeing any results that makes feel it really working much. Maybe I’m crazy?!

1 Like

Are you cleaning your system completely before trying the filtered gas?

Alumicel A and 13x is currently filtering my gas in liquid phase and I haven’t had a pan fast crash once this week. But only after cleaning the process side with ethanol.

5 Likes

Yea I cleaned it

And I scrubbed all the gas I had already distilled…

1 Like