Its not iSoBuTaNe! A theory for cause of "Medusa"

Yes I have… the issues goes back to still never receiving any of the COA’s I asked for though. So I have since switched to a different supplier that can provide me coa’s without pulling teeth.

6 Likes

xenon

Ever huffed that shit? Apparently its an NMDA antagonist…

1 Like

i have received cans with varying degrees of this reaction, all react, but with differing intensity. which makes me think the catalyst causing the reaction is not completely homogenous throughout the lot. thoughts?

1 Like

I worked with a dude named Hamilton Morris who travels the globe getting high and posting videos under HAMILTON’S PHARMACOPIA. I’m talking about unique highs, licking toads in Africa, inhaling xenon, etc.

I haven’t huffed xenon, but it’s supposed to give a trip. That was back when xenon was selling at $20-30 a liter. 30+% of rare gases come out of Ukraine and the horrible war over there threw the rare gas market out of control. Xenon is now over $120 a liter, krypton is at $13 and neon is at or around $4 a liter. Neon’s primary use is in excimer lasers used to etch semiconductor chips. If you think today’s shortage is hard to handle, wait until neon goes so scarce it closes some semiconductor fabs. It’s going to be awful.

10 Likes

Is Hamilton Morris as big of a douchebag IRL as he appears to be on TV?

3 Likes

That doesn’t make sense to me, unless the cylinders themselves were of different chemical profiles. That could come from:

1. Residue of hydrocarbon or other gunk that was not removed prior to filling.
  2. Residue from a cleaning solution that was employed in the cylinder cleaning process used by the fill-plant
  3. Sorry - there is no #3.

Were the cylinders from the same lot / did they have lot numbers on them?

1 Like

We only spoke, didn’t meet him, but he seemed to be OK. Maybe toad licking took a toll on the guy.

I make it a point to make time to go to happy hour & occasionally break free for a round of golf. I can’t imagine taking 2+ weeks off to raft around jungle rivers looking for Peruvian Tree Frogs to lick.

4 Likes

Hey @thesk8nmidget, tour COA brings up an interesting point. The COA you received is most likely not a COA (Certificate of Analysis), rather it is a COC (Certificate of Conformance) to specifications for the product you are purchasing. Big difference.

A COA is an analysis of the gas IN THE FILLED cylinder you receive. A COC merely states that this is the gas that went into the cylinder you received.

We have received and provided analyses of cylinders AFTER they have been filled. We are though limited in the scope of these analyses. We can only see hydrocarbon species, but that allows us to rule out the presence of ethylene, propylene, benzene, toluene and other such molecules. We do not test for ammonia or amines, as different equipment is necessary and, frankly, there is still much debate on what gremlins are causing these issues. Once we know that, we can explore the source of those demons and most likely develop testing and methods of remediation.

3 Likes

I’d be curious to see your reaction to my lab’s medusa crashing and how that compares to other peoples. Would you be cool with me sending you some vids/pics and getting some insight if you think it’s unique in any way?
@Dukejohnson and @cyclopath
Would be interested on both of your opinions as well.
It appears to me that our fast crash is much faster than most people’s reactions are occurring, (to my naked eye anyway). Just curious if this is how everyone is experiencing it or if there’s variables in effect for everyone and I’m curious as to why that may be.

3 Likes

Well a dude in Eugene has an in-line hplc and grabs gas a few times during the fill.
I would assume this is a COA since it came from the same lot and was taken in the middle of the fill
Am I incorrect?

2 Likes

I’ve seen it crash super fast and slower than super-fast. I believe it may have to do with how clean it is, we ran some fresh frozen bubble that had been squished into rosin but there was a lot left, but it was already clean and then ran the solution through the crc…it crashed out so much quicker than normal, but there wasn’t much terpenes in there

1 Like

You’re correct. Such testing works provide a profile of the solvent in that specific tank.

2 Likes

Send them my way.

I have had pans fully crash as fast as 20 minutes for 1000 grams pans.

Now that I’m filtering my gas I have at least prevented it from crashing in the system but usually still crashes in the pan in a couple of hours.

6 Likes

Is there a way we can test the 13x, Is whatever is trapped in there trapped in there for good?

2 Likes

I just wanna preface by saying I have little chemistry experience, but do you think it’s possible that the problem might be originating with plant material treated with ammonium sulfate foliars? As in, a clean system is filled with clean butane, and extracts foliar treated flower, along with trace ammonia. Some remains in extract causing Medusa stone, some travels with recovered butane back into clean solvent and “regenerates”, tainting the whole solvent tank. And then, running flower with no foliar exhibits the same Medusa properties when extracted…

3 Likes

Covers some but not all the bases…

4 Likes

“Could it be that the plant material is…”
No
It would have to be something that effected everyone
My homies don’t use any synthetics at all, so it’s not that…
It has to be something in the gas because that is the only thing that is constant

4 Likes

all from the same lot. what doesn’t make sense? not all compounds will fully homogenize. for instance, if you have too many terpenes in your biomass to make shatter your nucleation will start at the edges and depending on how much terps that could take the whole sheet, if there isn’t a ton it could just nucleate the edges. my point is that the terps are not perfectly distributed throughout the extract. the catalyst could have a different molecular weight and after sitting for some time not be perfectly uniform throughout the lot.

2 Likes

Excellent post. I won’t pretend to understand half of it, but it feels like we’re reaching some solid ground.

The layman in me wants to ask, how might we look for this amine/ammonia?

2 Likes

Ion chromatography is fairly expensive to spend on something unconfirmed, unfortunately.

3 Likes