Issues with making shatter

I’m on day 8 of attempting to purge oil in my vacuum oven at work. I’m running my pump at full vacuum every hour from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. everyday for 15 minutes, and I flip every morning at 7. I started the first day off with the ovens temp set to 90 and I’ve gone up 1 degree everyday until today. Today I had set my oven to 99 and it ended up rising to 103.5 before settling back down to 99. The main issue I’m having is that I’m wondering if there is a sign I should be seeing soon that would allow me to know that my product is close to shattering, or maybe become something, or if I may need to change what the temps a bit more dramatically or what. I have four slaps that are all from separate strains, and some are a bit thicker than the others

these are the best pictures I have on hand right now. I used propane to extract 5 pounds of bud and 2 pounds of kief per strain.

Let’s see the pump.

Betting it’s too small.

Do you have a gauge on your oven? What does it read when the pump is on? 45min later?

Who taught you to cycle the pump that way? You can suck too hard, but it is unlikely that this is your current issue.

What temp was your solvent? I’m seeing fats in at least one of those pics, and imagine you didn’t run much below rm temp.

As far as “done” goes, I pinch a 300-400mg chunk and roll it into a ball between my fingers. When this becomes possible, you’re getting closer. Leave it on your desk for 10-15min. If it cracks when you drop it, you’re good, it it’s still pliable, you’ve either missed and decarbed, or still have more terpenes to remove. Sample can then be used for in house organeptics

Edit: @StoneD has a point. You’re making it hard on yourself by using propane to get shatter.

2 Likes

I’d changed solvent for shatter

run n butane

4 Likes

Looks like it has sugared. Is it gritty?

1 Like

Isobutane helps with stability as well.

1 Like

The problem with the gas is I had a guy working in my lab before me, who taught me as little as he could even though he was hired to teach it all to me, he made the owners believe that propane was the only way to go, so I’m probably stick with propane until I manage to use it all. When I get to work I’ll upload a picture of the pump, and my oven gauges only show my the temperature and vacuum. One strain is a little gritty, but all four of them are super sticky and generally stretchy

I’m also unsure of the temp of my solvent, but I do know that I’m having issues with my collection chamber freezing instead of staying room temperature, so I’m having trouble recollecting my gas

IMG_20200626_141351586 here’s my equipment

@StoneD @Gumby @Luckycat @cyclopath I really appreciate the responses! Sorry if my replies blow your phones up or anything

1 Like

always run cold solvent …

propane a no no for shatter unless ur pro

which I would even attempt this

problem w propane is you’ll pull higher terps which causes auto sugar with most strains

like “the path” said pump those terps out and run cold solvent . but the right solvent for the job matters

plus running pure propane at room temp ur psi is thru the freaking roof. hope ur rig is a propane rated rig w proper prvs

2 Likes

I don’t know sadly. I was screwed by the guy who was suppose to be training me on information. Do you think I could turn what I have in my ovens into sugar as is?

yeah easily …take it out jar it up.

u extracted propane if it got cold enough just bc the propane moving gets cold then ur extractwill sugar w ease

some these guys know how to sugar in pans but I don’t…I use jars. seal jar walk away for week

1 Like

and drop the straight propane before u hurt urself if ur still learning

propane is beast in itself

3 Likes

Thanks, I definitely am being as cautious as a can with it but it’s my only option to get me into the lab here so Ill try to talk to the owners about switching to butane. So will I need to leave the lids slightly loose, or tighten them all the way for that jar method?

tight… all way on.

the extract has been purged some already , I used to purge before jarring now I purge after jarring

Gotcha, I appreciate the help

1 Like

if ud ran w straight n tane and made proper shatter this jar trick wouldn’t work after solid purge bc its stable shatter it’s not gonna change

1 Like

No propane if you want shatter. It’s not for beginners. Run nbutane as cold as you possibly could.

4 Likes

Just use a 70/30 blend bro. Put your solvent in dry ice and add another injection coil with dry ice and bath of your choice. Those chillers only get to -40 At most. Also consider using N2 assist because if you do use ice on solvent tank pressure will drop and you won’t be able to do much with a vape assist.

And like these guys said. Full propane runs add more pressure so yeah take it slow bro. Although MEP is built to take on propane on its own.

1 Like