Issues filling rosin carts

I decarbed my rosin at 150°F for 5 days(that’s just how long it took to stop bubbling) and every time I put it into the cart shooter I’m using I get a crazy amount of bubbles going everywhere.

The first photo is of the shooter. The second photo shows a lot of bubbles on top(that’s from me emptying the shooter back into the jar after it starting running away and spewing out).

Every time I pour in rosin, even without heat, it begins bubbling and expanding like crazy. Anyone know what the cause might be?

Did you make the rosin? Are you decarbing it in a sealed container? Did you point the filler upwards, let the air rise to the top, then squeeze the air out?

1 Like

Sealed at 170-180f In an oven Past when it FULLY stops bubbling (at least 12 hours) is really the only viable way to do it… any less it will bubble in the syringe and overflow in the cart/ this is what works for me

3 Likes

Delete

I did wash and press this rosin so I absolutely can vouch for the integrity of the rosin. I decarbed it fully sealed as well.

150°F is not sufficient heat for decarboxylation in any reasonable timeframe, if ever. Be careful you don’t blow up your jar with excess co2 buildup in an effort to save your terpenes. If you aren’t going to spin your terps off completely, or can’t, let it cool before burping it so you lose less terps.

Maybe one of the guys that decarbs with terps still present can chime in on their decarb temps? I prefer 250°F with regular agitation until no more bubbles evolve from the solution, but I remove my terps ahead of time.

2 Likes

what temp is your cart filler?

I only went a couple hours past bubbling, should I give it overnight in the heat you think?

The decarboxylation threshold for THC is 135°F last I saw. I was told it could take up to a week. Bubbles completely stopped around 4pm today so 5 hours ago.

1 Like

My cart filler is 145°F

if the bubbling stopped at 150, and happens at 145, one of those temps is likely wrong.

best answer is you’re not done, or you have CO2 dissolved in there

you probably only pressurized to 15PSI or so in a canning jar.

how much head space did you leave, have you done the math for how much CO2 that is?

5 Likes

I meant over 12 hr from starting time,
Id watch till there is literally no bubbles coming up at all and pull it shortly after

dont have a fuge so i can weigh in
This is what works for us conventional oven 170-180f depending on the quantity 12-24 hr
Occasional burping for a second or so(probably lose a little terps but the pens still taste great)

Leave jar in for 30min or so after there is 0 bubbles rising even slow ones(best to watch for a few min w flashlight to be sure)

Blast glass syringe w heat gun suck up rosin smash the bubbles out and fill

The jar had 50% head space too. It has definitely releasing gases from inside the jar so is that just CO2 from the decarboxylation process?

Yeah but at 150°f the color is insane. Flavor is still all there too. It takes several days to decarb. Didn’t even fully melt the first 2 days.

Yea but it isnt working lol

Just try going up on the heat a bit and make sure your using an oven or something similar to heat the whole jar not a hot plate

1 Like

Except it is working. The rosin does not produce bubbles. I tried turning it up to 180 for the last 20 minutes and not a single bubble.

1 Like

I mean your end product isnt working out

Its tough since you use a 50 shot which is a plastic barrel

If you have a glass syringe try using that and smashing the bubbles, heating up the syringe again more bubbles will rise, smash them out and repeat.

If it starts bubbling out of your cart the decarb simply isnt finished.

3 Likes

I don’t have a glass syringe.