Isomerization with t-41

No, that is not why LLE and your version of “proper clean up” are needed.
When you make 30% shit in your chemical conversion reaction…feed it to your kids for a few years and report back to here. What is needed is a chromatographic system capable of preparative scale and high resolution…a lot of your work is isomers…AND why is this not just a standard procedure for everyone running the cbd conversions…
It is too expensive to get into, it requires highly specific knowledge, and liters and liters of very expensive solvents.
It doesn’t pencil out.
You would be so much better off just growing marijuana …get your THC that way.

4 Likes

1 Like

@moronnabis

3 Likes

Read up on illnyes d8 sop. We all had our turn. Works great.

1 Like

Oh yeah brother. Just gotta order some PTSA

Best source for ptsa ?? PTSA??

2 Likes

This batch was converted in a 5L reactor prior to distilling. No co-boiling my acid this time.

2 Likes

Hahahaha the fucking ‘thumbs N ammo’ kills me!!!

1 Like

As @RockSteady said above, powders dont get you clean conversions. Ptsa is relatively cheap and does a great job converting. You can steer your reaction and get out what you want relatively easy.
Chemsavers is who i use for ptsa

1 Like

seemed fitting for his response haha

1 Like

@Miles-Beyond dude 2 kilos for 238 bucks? thats a damn good deal. thanks for sending me this site. much cheaper than what i was looking at.

1 Like

Make sure you keep the ptsa dry when ordering that much. Scale your run and order only what you need for a given 6mos of production.

2 Likes

could i possibly put some silica packets in there to keep things fresh? i have a bunch of mason jar lids with the basket that i use for boveda packs when curing my bud. i would imagine as long as the silica gel packets dont touch the ptsa powder i would be in the clear.

Id just keep it lid tight in a dry cabinet. Id suppose those packets would be destroyed by the acid.

2 Likes

thought I’d drop a lil bit of info here, but you only need 0.25% w/w pTSA to drive 10kg of CBD at 1:1 v/v CBD:heptane to complete isom in <1hr. lowering the amount of catalyst helps with the exotherm + neutralization and cleaning up. as always, distillation is a must to avoid the olivetol/toluene/etc byproducts from being consumed, and I’d recommend spending money on an in-house GCMS rather than flash chroma for anyone doing D8 for this reason + the ridiculous amount of solvent that FC requires + the other non-chroma ways that can be used for D8 and D9 separation.

2 Likes

2c0dean: lol…when you say LLE you mean ‘counter current” so you are “cooking with gas”…keep those kids safe. Show us a chromatogram…curious what a separation looks like at max capacity. I’m guessing you do have an upper limit of maybe 10gm per run…still eats solvent so I’m guessing like a methanol based mobile phase?
Who makes that machine…I had to look closely to figure out what it was , but I still don’t recognize the brand.

Nice job…

Its a Gilson

2 Likes

A gilson CPC? What do you think of the ease of use for that? Does it use the Triulution software like the prep HPLCs do?

There are also some SMB units out there tweeked for very specific cannabinoid separations that can run in continuous mode. The problem is they run continuous and they are very hungry beasts.
Does the Gilson have a sequential or semi-continuous mode? How do you run that unit?

If you want 90% pure thca, use three buckets, a Buchner and some water…decarb and you are there….d9 bingo.

2 Likes

Im not familiar with its use. Im still learning from a coworker.

I do know you need to be running solvent recovery for heptane and methanol all day everday when its in use.
https://www.norlab.com/library/brochure/12364
Its a 2250

@NewLevelProcess I do beleive thats the program we use. It came on a little usb drive. My coworker has one similar at his college and hes teaching me every so often when we have a little down time. Id be glad to relay some questions about it if youd like.

@moronnabis im pretty sure its continous because we have to keep our solvent buckets filled up so the machine doesnt run out of methanol, heptane and water. Which like i stated means constant recovery too haha. I wish i knew more about it but im basically a virgin to this machine. My coworker does all the plc work

2 Likes

Maybe I don’t quite understand what you are saying about a GCMS. Do you mean to follow the progress of your reactions? Certainly you don’t mean in lieu of a prep-scale chromatographic isolation step.???