Isomerization of CBD isolate had wierd test results

Hey guys I ran a D8 conversion with CBD isolate and where I figured I’d get higher purity it actually dropped it. When I run T5 in my boiling flask I typically let it kind of reflux in the boiling flask at about 160c for an hour then run through the SPD. With disty I achieve 50% to 60% D8 and LOQ on the D9 so this time I made some isolate and my test results came back at 30% D8 and LOQ D9… Any ideas what I did wrong and maybe where the rest of the cannabinoids are? I’m thinking D10 but someone also told me possibly exo-thc which I have no clue what that is… Any help would be appreciated thx!

You need a better d8 method for the isolate.

1 Like

Like lower temps refluxing in a reactor?

I’d bet this isn’t a d10 issue. If you ask the lab to share the chromatogram they should be willing

And see what on there? What other areas spike? I thought unknowns come in as CBC

Usually d10 is missinterpreted as CBC on lab testing.

I second having a chromatogram would be very helpful if they could provide it.

I’m leaning toward either mystery peaks or a lot of cbd was destroyed when heating it with the T5.

1 Like

When you say destroyed does that mean it’s just gone and not converted? If so what If I ran in boiling flask at lower temps and then filter off T5 and run through the SPD? Do I absolutely need a reactor to convert to get to higher purity?

Yes unfortunately higher heat+clays with isolate can destroy cbd as well as convert it at the same time.

A while back I did some trials with refluxing both isolate and distillate in heptane with T41.

I was going for higher d9 and what I discovered was the isolate runs needed to be ran at lower temps and shorter time or they would keep going from d9 and to d8.

It makes sense since there’s more of a “buffer” with distillate compared to isolate.

Here’s the thread and post where I went into more details, there’s also a few other posts below where I had results on lower temp results with cbd distillate:

https://future4200.com/t/re-isomerization-to-delta-8-thc/92516/27?u=isolationchamberlab

I don’t think you necessarily need a reactor to achieve higher purity, a boiling flask will be fine as long as you use the right catalyst, heat and time.

Unfortunately I don’t think bleaching clay will be the best catalyst for high purity because of all the mystery peaks it will make and that’s why I gave up on my T41 trials.

However I do think refluxing it in your boiling flask with a solvent at lower temps then filtering out your clay and distilling could potentially achieve better results but I’m uncertain if high purity and compliant d8 is obtainable with that route.

1 Like

One way to look at it is the distillate has a buffer which lowers concentration of the reactants and slows the reaction. Another way and more concerning is that portions of the catalyst are being used to react with the unknowns in the distillate

1 Like

Yes that’s definitely a concern and a big reason I only convert cbd isolate to d9 and d8 now and no longer use bleaching clays either because of the mystery peaks they create.

2 Likes