Isolating Anthocyanins from wash water

I’m sure we’ve all looked at some super purple water while washing hash and wondered how to isolate the anthocyanins in the water. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

1 Like

A brine.

The clumps on the bottom/suspended are anthos

Theres also fractional freezing amongst others you can try. I got it working several ways but the anthos are realtively easy to fuck up so find what way works best for you

1 Like

I have zero experience here so pardon the ignorance but why not just rotovap the water to get a crude paste?

2 Likes

Sounds hellish

I’ve found heat destroys them quite easily. Throw some in the freezer drier and you get a nice powder that doesn’t like to redisolve in anything. Hash water will need a nice filtering though.

4 Likes

I wonder if they can be concentrated and buffer exchanged into a more stable solution using a small membrane/TFF.

Whats the goal after isolating @headydaberson

1 Like

Not sure yet. I know they’re high in antioxidants so would be great to find a way to use them once isolated

That’s where my head was at with it. Filter and freeze dry. Wonder if there’s a way to make it water soluble so you could essentially make a powder that you scoop into a drink to consume?

That would be this. Only anthos no cannabinoids (save for trace amounts probably). Filled the trays with water and had to run several cycles at a very low temp to exhaust the liquid. You can also naturally evaporate it at room temp but you can only do it in shallow puddles of antho water at a time. They hate heat - as you can see just a few minutes out of the fridge made it bubble

Fyi it smells like “generic purple” ice pops interestingly enough even though this was made from Wedding Cake with a temp cut the last 2 days. Kind of a tingly smell.

11 Likes

You can adsorb them to a column packed with PVPP, desorb with acetone

3 Likes

Solvent of choice?

1 Like

Ethanol and water

3 Likes

You can also remove the bulk of the water with membranes, then process a more manageable volume however you like. Very cost effective to do this when using membranes. We have inexpensive skids and membranes for this, just didn’t find a market.

2 Likes

Fractional freezing does this and more - all ya gotta do is put a jug of it in the freezer and the anthos literally go toward the middle while the water freezes on the outside

3 Likes

Sounds great. However, freezing more than a few gallons is time consuming and impractical. From our experience it takes a lot of water to get much out of hash water. The great thing about membranes is that you can recover everything in the water including terpenes and cannabinoids. Since this is not a high pressure application or solvent based, we used an inexpensive RO system to achieve it.

1 Like

Maple syrup producers use the same RO systems for concentrating sap.

1 Like

Nobody is trying to extract gigantic amounts of anthos here though. Dye manufacturers could use the sales pitch though