Isolate smells like menthol

Is this normal? I detect a very slight menthol ish smell, it was made with pentane cold crash tek- I rarely work with isolate so I am not sure if this is a normal thing or if I need to do something to scrub it further.

does it taste like cherry

I think cbd has a co-occurring cherry terp that is seemingly a high bp molecule. Ive only worked with cbd thc strains though

not… particularly?

some pentanes leave a nasty smell residue.
how white is the isolate? is it clumping at all?

1 Like

Definitely not “normal” I’d say. The stuff I’ve made for whatever reason does not taste/smell like much of anything, some other isolate I’ve had tasted like that chalky vitamin cherry flavor.

Was your pentane HPLC or better grade? I’ve heard of hydrocarbon isomers having odd smells. I know when heptane has a long exposure to air it starts smelling more and more like limonene.

3 Likes

Menthol is cyclohexane w some shit on it. If it’s not analytical or HPLC grade, it’s likely that there’s something like this or this itself in the product…they’d be a pain to separate probably, maybe not with that hydroxyl group, but anyways—just thought I’d share the image.

4 Likes

slightly clumping yes

still has solvent in it.
crush and continue purge.

6 Likes

aye aye capn

4 Likes

I’d suggest getting a Residual Solvent test done at your local laboratory.

1 Like

Menthol could have a similar smell to some of the terpenes that are naturally occurring in the crude product

1 Like