Isobutane distilling

Does distilling isobutane leave the unwanted leftovers in tank or is it filtered through molecular sieve?

Treat it like any other extraction gas (referring to nbutane, and propane)…

4 Likes

^^^^ yes as of 1pm pacific time today

1 Like

All gas, canned, or cylinder, has gross byproducts that must be distilled out.

It is advised, in addition, by Photon Noir, that there may be additional contaminants that may be removed by filtering liquid butane through 10A molecular sieve (read, 10A, not your usual 3a/4a) and acid activated alumina.

To read more about those issues, I’d suggest perusing the numerous Fast Crash, Medusa, chalk diamond, gas supply threads that have discussed the issue over the last 12 months.

4 Likes

Yeah I have already and thank you for your reply. What I’m asking though is I don’t have a transfer case so I distill directly in collection tank. I’m asking after I fill my solvent tank full. Should I drop the bowl and wipe down the inside of collection tank?

1 Like

I’d recommend it. In our system, it’s a massive collection vessel, so if we distill directly in there, it’s just about everywhere. We use a much smaller jacketed collection vessel for distillation, and never futz with cleaning the main collection vessel apart from refluxing some butane in there to wash collected oil out.

1 Like

I honestly can’t stand this process. Not talking trash but just my opinion. I find it so much easier to just open the top of my evaporator and spray ethanol and let it run down out of the bottom into a jar and that goes to distillate. Warm the evaporator up while pulling vacuum, and drop temperature after back down to operating temps.

For me to get butane up to temp to create that much vapor to clean the entire thing. I could have done an entire run, then I have to recover that butane. And still clean up the bowl and where ever the butane splattered, again.

Even with a 200L cauldron it takes a couple minutes with a (new) pesticide pump sprayer.

7 Likes

That’s why I don’t have to do it… that’s what minions are for. (not the author of our SOPs, sadly) For the real though, I’d agree. I’d love to just use a little acetone and pretend I’m the clean-in-place sprayer.

Even then, I don’t want my guys to endure that long ass process.

I still prefer clean usp etho.

1 Like

U will need to wipe out collection tank after distilling unless u use a dedicated separate collection vessel