Iso vs ethonal

We sell the same denatured formula and our clients usually only need to up their evaporator temp by 5-10C. The heptane is in azeotrope with the ethanol, so they mostly travel together until the very end.
@square_root_pharms

3 Likes

does that 5-10 degrees make a big difference when making full spectrum extracts?

There should be little difference between denatured and pure ethanol. Heptane is a very good solvent for terpenes so you would still expect a rich profile.

3 Likes

So before I place my order tomorrow for another 5g of ethanol, my options are $320.00 for 5g of 200 proof or $190.00 for 5g of 190 proof.

Both are NON-denatured

1 Like

Where are you finding 190 proof 5 gallon for $190

1 Like
3 Likes

Holy moly thatā€™s cheaper than Iā€™ve seen anywhere do they ship to a residence is it hard to set up an account with them thanks for that link thatā€™s only a little more expensive than a 5 gallon of 710spirits shipt

1 Like

Wait, it gets A LOT better!!!

Duck buying 5g at a time. 55g all the way!

https://www.laballey.com/products/ethanol-200-proof-pure-55-gallon-drum

Dont forget the fed excise tax

I have 2 spots I can get 200 proof from, not BS tax. 330 shipped for 5g od 200 anhydrous

2 Likes

How do you buy from there without the excise tax

I can get 200 proof ethanol for about 3:40 shipped up here to Maine but thatā€™s the cheapest Iā€™ve found which is why Iā€™m looking at heptane denatured ethanol now to skirt around paying excise tax

1 Like

@square_root_pharms
Thanks for asking the question, i would recommend you talk to shadownaught. He can facilitate the 55 gal drum at a cheaper price, i believe. Iā€™m about to pull the trigger on the denatured myself and see what results are. I believe it should work out to my satisfaction.

1 Like

Are you aware if the hygroscopic properties of the denatured Ethanol/heptane blend are altered compared to say 200 proof pure ethanol?

Basically the same as 200 proof by itself. Water can join the ethanol/heptane azeotrope up to a certain percentage. @square_root_pharms

2 Likes

It actually mentions the excise tax on that website ($1400). So those barrels are running about $2100 before shipping.

2 Likes

i gotcha so theres no real difference as far as the denatured ethanolā€™s ability to suck moisture from the air.

I did read that after i responded with those messages. due to the taxes pure ethanol is still too rich for my blood.

1 Like

I am also looking for some info on this as i am currently using iso for extraction and am going to chill it to -40 soon. Will i see a reduction in thc content in my crude?

From what Iā€™ve been told, iso will pick up all kinds of nasty garbage that ethanol wont even at cryo.

Iā€™d much rather use 4 gal/80.00 99% iso than 5 gal/340 of 200 proof food grade just for cost savings. But the added headache of making sure I ONLY get my ā€œliquid goldā€ and not the ā€œgrinchā€ is well worth the added cost.

3 Likes

My manager just walked in and told me that according to California regulations (which i have not seen but am effortingā€¦) everything that we, as a licensed manufacturer, have produced using 710 should be destroyed!!! WTF?

Iirc 710 got busted 3yrs back for selling ethanol as food grade and it was cut with something that killed a few people.

Thank you for sharing your brilliance! Would SDA 3C be considered to be the ideal solvent mix to order? Or is there a better option with water in the mix as well?