ISO % question for extraction

I tried. Fairly certain I failed. Should have DEFF finished my homemade hydrometer before distilling all that waste to.loool(I’m gonna try salting it soon with pot carbonate and let you know if I even got anything, since my hydrometer won’t be done for weeks lol)
I maybe feeling brave and confident enough to try a rough determination by weight.
Which I deff should have did ahead of time. But eh… Live an learn?

Jeeze mane that’s super generous ty I’ll shoot you a PM

Why? Please elaborate.

1 Like

I’m having trouble understanding to. It’s more polar. And strips more compounds.
So you’ll get things you don’t want like waxes and choloro, it tends to make a more dark product and less flavorful one because of this.
But in my head, I’m just be eating it in confections so I dun really care about it’s taste and look just the relief it will provide.
It’s just general accepted the selectivity of ethanol pulls a “cleaner” more tasteful product that the majority of people prefer.
With BPS of iso/eth at 78.37 °C and 82.6 °C should be really easy to separate out either one, tho in that context ISO is usually cut with some BS to make it 99%, but i just salt 70% to make my own 99% or high 90% with no nasty cutting agent. That and I’ve heard because ISO is more polar it bonds harder with water making it harder to seperate but that didn’t make much sense to me because it’s BP is lower even then eth which means it should be even easier to turn into a vapor. ISO is more toxic then eth if consumed but again. That should not be a worry if you are purging at correct temps and montionring what you put in/recover

I feel like you’re needlessly overcomplicating things. Just get the highest proof everclear you can source, and recover what you use. If you have the equipment already, this is a no brainer to me. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to separate denatured alcohol or whatever you’re trying to do.

7 Likes

If I needed to extract at home, that’s what I’d do.

Buy everclear.

Put in freezer.

Dump over cannabis.

Recover as appropriate.

This might be worth a read if you want to use iso.

Regarding water content, we did a bunch of research on ethanol extraction many moons ago that showed that having a water fraction in the solvent was actually beneficial. I wouldn’t be surprised if iso turned out the same.

Don’t over-think it, just do the thing.

4 Likes

Can you elaborate on the water fraction being beneficial? This is good stuff

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the info both yall. @terplord420 <3 I will check this all out after work today and report back. Maybe my local store has some super cheap booze… But even then it’s gonna be about 15/l min I already know… When compared to 2 bucks for the same amount of iso… But yeah. I guess it’ll be worth it especially if I can recover it efficiently.
I also heard the same thing. That people were trying to extract with denature eth then realized having 5-10% h20 content produced a better product anyway. Thus making the process alot easier and removing the strain of having to sieve your solution or w.e every-time after using. I will deff give that a read tho for the further details.

I’d have to go back and re-read the lab notes and report. This would have been done in 2018 or 2019, back when we were developing spray wash ethanol extraction methods and protocols.

Off the top of my head I seem to remember that 120 proof was a reasonably optimum point in the context of room temperature extraction. Maybe -20°C as well.

I believe it helped mitigate undesireable pickup. Considering we’re now two solvent systems away from our ethanol days I might get around to open sourcing that info at some point.

3 Likes

Thanks @Lincoln20XX . I would think that any water present would pull tons of water soluables. If you get around to it let me know

1 Like

That’s incredibly interesting, I would love to get my hands on that data. I second w/ @Miles-Beyond if you ever get around to it please post an tag me =D

Look up some of @Beaker posts. They’ll have plenty of info for this

3 Likes

Righteous my mane. TY for suggesting. I will for sure do that =)

1 Like

I mean I guess if you’re adventurous you could make an isopropyl hash oil and then wash and winterize that oil in/with ethanol and hope it negates the fact you started with isopropyl.

Kinda like how people make a cls hash oil and use ethanol to winterize the cls hash oil and just sorta not give a shit that an lpg was used for the primary extraction…

:octopus:

1 Like

I’m not the seller I just googled rotovap and saw this

656.80$
Free shipping

2 Likes

There was a link posted recently in another thread about how ISO breaks down into acetone in the body but than breaks down the acetone to ketones that are burned as energy. The body naturally produces acetone. I am curious as to how legitimate the link was.

1 Like

If he’s trying to do that - he should just get an industrial usage manufacturing permit in his state to remove the taxes for it being booze. Most states (but not all…) have this program in place. Work with your local distillary - they are helpful with it.

For instance - the people using ethanol to make hand sanitizer do not have to pay the booze tax for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why not just get n-heptane denatured etoh.

VS

?

Those guys are paying the tax b.c. it’s consumable

The handsanny folks were all using denatured

2 Likes

You could distill the Heptane from the Ethanol and then distill the Ethanol through a sieve to avoid taxes but that’s a lot of work and I read that Heptane denatured ethanol made hash oils aren’t bad as long as you process it and purge it, like all the other shit.

1 Like