ISO: New England based Cannabis cultivation data scientist (EDIT: NO LONGER SEARCHING)

I have a client searching for a cannabis cultivation data scientist that we can work with on correlating data we’re gathering inside MSO facilities and then help train our machine learning algorithms as we progress.

They have a handsome data set they are working with and I’d love to swing this gig by some of the gang.

DM me if you’re qualified and interested.
Serious inquiries only thanks!

3 Likes

Cannabis cultivation data scientist?

Unicorn hunting we are :unicorn:

What exactly are ya looking for? Data science could encompass: data munging, wrangling, visualizing ? What tools should the applicant have experience/familiar with? - Pandas, SQL, python? What makes one “qualified” what for this role?

4 Likes

More info please.

Why local?

Number crunching is a telecommute sport

2 Likes

She did DM me yesterday and told me she would contact her client to get more info :slight_smile:

If they need someone to work with huge datasets over CSV files, or make a little app to visualize the data, I might could help - hopefully hear more about what they need

Fly high when writing Python :snake: :airplane: it will give you wings!

3 Likes

Pandas and Python!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can I substitute Bocks, MySQL and Perl?

MySQL - yea its very similar, but PostgreSQL has some really nice features that make it a great production db.

Bocks & Perl - Maybe, but you might end up reinventing the wheel in a lot of cases. So many python packages for working with aggregates of data and modeling nowadays - it seems to be king of the hill when it comes to data sciency stuff now (maybe R and Scala are close?).

I think Python’s popularity comes down to versatility and the wide range of modules available for different kinda work. Take a similar language like ruby - which is a great lang.but no one seems to use it for anything besides Ruby on Rails which is a web framework. Aside from that, doesn’t seem to get much play. Python community has provided similar tools for making web servers, like Django or Flask, but also has this very rich and robust ecosystem of data-science tools. My brother uses it for working with Neural Networks and data modeling and training models. The scientific community has kinda adopted python as the go-to scripting language because there are just so many damn modules applicable. Check out the Anaconda distribution of python packages. Shit is so boss. Was so close to getting an internship with them before I got into cannabis. Sigh could would shoulda

I can beat others python into submission in a pinch, and am aware of the advantages of Postgres. nobody in their right mind would use the pernicious and eclectic rubbish loader to build new tools these days. it’s just what I used last time I was playing with large datasets. I hired a programmer to build a python interface to my last couple of Postgres DBs

1 Like

R bitches. R.

3 Likes

I’’m language agnostic.

My motto is right tool for the right job

Bump…

1 Like

Did ya ever hear back?

I am ready to work :slight_smile:

Just let me know when

Bueller…bueller

Yeah sounds like a unicorn… I’ve done some data science too but not Canna related and I’m on the west coast

1 Like

Create an account on news.ycombinator.com. There is a jobs section but you may just want to make an “ask HN” post.

1 Like

This whole problem is specific to dataset size. Database and language don’t matter so much as long as there’s ML or data science abilities.

I can’t imagine the dataset is actually that big compared to other sets that are software driven.

So what happened with this job?

Tried to find out what was actually needed for the role but zilch…crickets.

This is why recruiters get such a bad rap. I mean, did they find someone, did the requirements change? Sheesh…

Client ghosted! I am not a recruiter just a consultant working alongside this client and they had posted a unique job posting that I thought I could share in with the community. I apologize for this not having been updated sooner as I have been awaiting word back from the client on additional details to share.

I will be sure to update you if and when they get back to me. Sorry for the tease (eek)

2 Likes

Hey it’s no worries I completely understand life happens

Exactly. I suspect they figure out how to do it in excel :rofl:

Edit: I’ve seen smart folks trying to do waaaay too much in excel…

Man you are on this form a ton do you ever take a break LOL