ISO Cannabis derived CBD

Looking for licensed California labs making either CBD crude or distillate derived from Cannabis. Is anyone doing this yet? Most I see is from hemp.

1 Like

They just call it hemp the plant we grow is regular cannabis sativa… It’s just bread to met the .03 d9 level…,. I don’t no of anyone growing hemp for CBD in the. US
Edit there probably are some people experimenting with it

1 Like

So as long as it is not industrial hemp, material such as crude or distillate is compliant in CA…correct?

Not sure about California compliance I’m in North Carolina I know the plant we grow in is just a regular marijuana plant i of a high CBD low THC strain s not a hemp plant

2 Likes

More on what is “hemp” vs. cannabis (in the USA)…

1 Like

This is why their definition of hemp vs marijuana type is crazy. If they meant the approved crop to have the morphology of industrial hemp, then that’s one thing. If they just meant any cannabis sativa below 0.3%, that’s completely different. From my perspective this is the type of plant I want to focus on for cannabis derived essential oil production for hemp oils.

3 Likes

They were just like everyone else just about in this country they didn’t know anything about it somebody said under .3 is hemp so the law says under point three. Too late to put the genie back in the bottle

1 Like

Except the FDA says it can regulate CBD anytime it wants to. There’s your genie back in the bottle. Can states protect hemp farmers from this? I hope so.

Hadn’t thought about that aspect of it. Does the FDA oversee marijuana in recreational States?

We can’t make medical claims. But they haven’t bothered us otherwise. GW Pharmas FDA approval and release of Epidiolex is pretty new, relative to state legal medicinal and recreational programs.

1 Like

The FDA entering the game could be good or bad for the industry. They will probably put that 0.3% cap on CBD products, but there is no way to know for sure. If industry leaders make their voices heard, they could end up settling at a higher percentage. Somebody has to prove to the FDA that there is still no intoxicating effects at 1, 2, or even probably 5%. That is hard to prove though. They might go the other way and put a hard 0.0% cap on all CBD products. Right now, because of Epidiolex, the FDA sees CBD Isolate as a drug, which means nobody will be able to add it into food or beverages in the US.

1 Like

The FDA’s rules are basically, “Follow your state and local laws” (as long as your product doesn’t leave that state). The FDA so far has only come after a few companies selling CBD, and that is because they were making health claims. They say, do not make claims of “structure” or “function.”

1 Like

Think he’s wondering about what in California classifies as hemp CBD before I took this all off track,:no_mouth::no_mouth::no_mouth:

Haha. I do appreciate where the information has lead to and definitely useful. But yea @Ncfarmer that is exactly what my initial post was about.

1 Like

Nope. The FDA spoken. It’s illegal. But when has that ever stopped anyone in this industry. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

I think they’re waiting for Congress to define the rules for CBD nutraceuticals.

That’s not entirely accurate. Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug but I can still buy it legally down the street. In Oregon, CBD is not considered a food adulterant, so you can put it in food and drinks legally. Although, that might change when the FDA releases their official rules on CBD.