Iso and water to dewax

I don’t think people “boil the plant matter” in making rso/feco.
The alcohol dissolves the Thc fairly quickly at room temp and even doing it super cold it’s still fast…the longer it sits around it gathers chlorophyll and other shit

2 Likes

Why not a pesticide/fertsprayer…:yum::yum::yum:

Im doing this tonight… And youll get blamed by the wife for another night session in the lab :)))

1 Like

:man_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I tested in on a straight unprocessed etoh extract and during filtration post winterisation.

1 Like

@MimiEmu

Terpenes being retained?

Boiling in water, that seems like a preety non modest statement…

You should be loosing them with almost every step of the process, not judging just a bit suprised by this statement…

1 Like

And it all tubes down to a gyroscopic decentralizer bucket… :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:I aint an native english speaker…

1 Like

Same tool, slightly different trick.

Ye olde Maytag performed both as well.

@GrzA yep, a pressure sprayer along the lines of image

Would absolutely give a minimal viable product when paired with a foot powered cannabis disorienter (mop bucket). If the vent were replaced with a prv, one could do stupid things like drop dry ice directly in to both cool & pressurize the solvent.

Really concerned that I might have to actually implement this.

Note that this one already comes with a name…eliminate those nasty FECO traits from your RSO.

…which may or may not be a worthwhile goal.

There are a LOT of 2ndary metabolites in cannabis

3 Likes

I’ve been using one of those to do water washes on my alkane layer :joy::joy:

Was thinking about refining thc-a with it in a similar manner with a high pH wash…

2 Likes

One atep ahead of u bb!

The wife was f****pissed

5 Likes

, :sob::yum::sob::sob::yum::sob:

1 Like

Simpli-Magic Spin Mop 4 Heads Included, Basic, Blue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6V1Z56/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_JZ6KKFD1DC420X6XPE1N

Hey Grza,

Sorry for the lag, I needed to publish my work before getting ahead of myself. RSO 2.0 addresses the heat issue. Extraction temps can now be done from as low as 120f. At that temp, Terps will still be lost no doubt, so think of this as a way to minimize losses.

Check out the website for details:

I just published the new process in another thread:

Hey Guys, got something for you to see. @Beaker started this thread years ago and its fitting to announce this here. Beaker was so very close to an amazing find. Take a look at this video. This is a Charles Goodyear accidental discovery of vulcanizing rubber, a literal ‘Oh Shit’ moment…

This is @PharmExOregon doing the pour, I’m making the video. What you are seeing is what I call ‘Brine Isopropyl Degumming’. In order to keep down the typing, I’ve created this writeup (sorry for all the hyperbole as its meant for the consumer market.). Here’s how it works…

Basically, you can now degum by extracting with 99% ISO (91% works too…) , Add brine, shake, and the phospholipids precipitate in clouds of particulate, similar to a Snow Globe. Not only that, but the brine wash also absorbs proteins, sugars, acids, trichome shells. NO FILTERING NEEDED!!! Just siphon off the alcohol layer and you’re ready to reduce to oil…

Give it a try. Here’s the the Operating Procedure in a Quick Start format.

Brine Isopropyl Degumming is great for making RSO at home, some thought will have to go into to take this to industrial scale. 91% ISO does work which means you can recycle your alcohol with simple distillation.

4 Likes

I think we can now call this ‘Well Known’… He’s doing it with other chemicals, my process is Isopropyl, salt and water. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing. Am I correct in assuming that after filtering the icey brine, an additional standard ethanol winterization is recommended to pull significant waxes out of the solution that the brine doesn’t pick up? Would be awesome if the purity didn’t heavily depend on a final ethanol winterization but if there’s waxes the brine leaves and ethanol picks up, it would make sense.

I am recommending to do winterization after the first reduction. This way you use as little as a 1/4 cup ethanol instead of quarts and gallons. Its much more cost effective to use Isopropyl (with its super powers) for the bulk extraction, then use Ethanol for the small final reduction.

I blew off the winterization in the video for time purposes. Don’t take that to mean I don’t recommend winterization, each piece helps and that’s really easy to do in the freezer.

Now take a look at the bigger picture. Phospholipids are much worse than wax because it causes emulsions; whereas, waxes just make it thicker. You don’t want to smoke either… The priority should be on phospholipids then waxes. Each has its own method of removal, they can’t be done at once. The best part about using brine, is the water also absorbs sugars, acids and proteins. Anything polar or semi-polar like the phospholipids, gets pulled into the brine out of the alcohol.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, just thought of this. There will be a winterization video coming soon showing a new filter setup for home.

I read your SOP and it is confusing. In the abstract it discusses making and using saturated salt brine. In the SOP itself however it only mentions adding club soda, not brine.

Ah, you have the 2021 procedure with the new 2022 quick start. The 2022 process has 5 steps, 2021 has 8 steps. Toss out the 2021 procedure, things got totally changed around. Earlier this year, I moved Winterization to follow distillation to winterize a smaller volume. I quickly realized a brine prewash was needed and thats how I discovered the Brine Isopropyl Degumming snow globe effect. So Silting becomes the workhorse before distillation and winterization happens afterwards on a smaller amount of alcohol. More surprises coming! Just wait till you see the winterization filter…

Have you tested the chunky lair for cannabinoids? Is there any losses along the way?

2 Likes

Got an interim test result last night. zero across the board on cannabinoids in the brine wash/gums. I kinda expected that as they are snow white and the cooking oil industry studies said to expect only phospholipids in the floc. Remember, when the salt breaks the bonds, all molecules bonded to the alcohol are freed momentarily. The phospholipids immediately gravitate towards the water phase, the cannabinoids, being polar, prefer the alcohol phase. The cannabinoids are not exposed for very long to the phospholipids as they remain white in color.

To answer your question another way, I did harvest 3 batches of waxes & phospholipids by combining jars, adding more alcohol and salt, heating it up to redissolve all lipids, then siphoning off the alcohol and distilling that down. It was ugly!!! OMG! Thats when I discovered Denture Adhesive! Got high on Denture Adhesive! Here’s a pic of the greenish brown sludge on the pot and the nylon coffee filter. Its greenish brown so that means its grabbed the little bit of chlorophyll & cannabinoids left in the jars. If you look at my pictures above from last year, you’ll see a filter pad with green emulsion and some scooped up. This is what the emulsion with cannabinoids looks like when wet. The picture of the boiler is pretty dry. The coffee filter is wet. When you touch this stuff, it just smears. Its almost an illusion as there are no real solids in it.

That opens a rabbit hole discussion on Hemp Lecithin products. That sh!t doesn’t wipe off even with 70% ispropyl. Had to use 99% and scrubbed. The gums stick to everything. I had visions of Dr Seuss’s story of Pink that spreads everywhere. I was laughing because everything I touched made a mess, couldn’t get rid of it.