Is this crystalization or lipid separation?

So I’m just starting to get the hang of things and still need a lot of help along the way… a lot. Ha, so hopefully the community will be there to pick me up as I stumble through the learning process!

1. This is all being made with a Precision Extractions PX1, paired with a 27L -30C polyscience chiller for the solvent tank and a haskell ex420 w/ a 7L polyscience heater for recovery. Right now I am not utilizing a dewaxing column as the chiller does not cool deep enough to effectively utilize it’s function; am I correct in that understanding or is there purpose to use the chiller on both the solvent tank and the dewaxing column despite the fact that it doesn’t reach below negative 20 when doing so?

2. What is going on in this jar that I ran last night and left in my freezer? I poured it off butane rich into jars as an experiment and after freezing for the night, in an attempt at winterization, we have this white layer at the bottom. Is this lipid separation or crystalization? Video here: Is this lipid separation or cannabinoid crystalization? - YouTube

1 Like

That is fat in that jar.

5 Likes

So the correct next step would be to use a buchner funnel and filter under light vacuum to remove the fats and then purge off the butane per normal?

2 Likes

Without question fat

2 Likes

Uhhhh, no.

People have used buchner funnels and butane before but I won’t recommend that at all man.

Unless you’re using a diaphragm pump or another pump that is explosion proof, you can blow yourself up.

You could just let all the fats settle and decant the solution and keep most of the fats out.

7 Likes

I like this method

2 Likes

That’s a big jar full of liquid, if he pours it slow enough, there’s not a ton of goods lost at all.

1 Like

Yeah I’d go as far to set it on some dry ice before said pour. Just to make sure the fat is frozen

3 Likes

I like it. That’s a good idea too!

@ElevatingCannabis do what @FicklePickle and I said for your safest and best way to get most of that fat outta your extracts I would say.

1 Like

“Precision Extractions PX1, paired with a 27L -30C polyscience chiller for the solvent tank and a haskell ex420 w/ a 7L polyscience heater for recovery. Right now I am not utilizing a dewaxing column as the chiller does not cool deep enough to effectively utilize it’s function”

Fucking precision…

5 Likes

Try filtering with filter paper followed by some fiber glass wool. That’ll hold your fats. Pour slowly and in a circular motion.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice; I have a “spark free” vac pump to use with the buchner, is this safe to use or would you still be concerned? Pump found here ( BVV™ 6CFM Dual Stage Spark Free Pump )

What would you recommend filtering through if not a buchner?

Thanks for the info! If my spark-free vac pump w/ buchner isn’t a valid option then I’ll go for the pour! It just seems like filtering through something would be most effective

The reference is lost on me :frowning:
What’s is precision known for?

How big is your material column? Or how many jars total did you freeze?

He means precision px1 is not designed properly. I know I have one

5 Likes

This was just from a 2ln run of trim. This is the only jar I’m experimenting with/questioning right now.

Oh no! What are some of those known issues? I bought the unit used for a steal.

It’s meant more to be used for crude production and has 5in tri clamp fittings which are only available through precision. Also the solvent tank is really small

5 Likes

Could you explain to me why it lends itself to crude production? Thanks for the education!