Is spark free the same as ignition proof?

Thinking about getting a spark free vacuum pump. Does that mean ignition proof?

Spark free like brushless or intrensically safe? Is this the exact verbage?

Perhaps post a link to the equipment

3 Likes

https://shop.scisolinc.com/products/best-value-vacs-ve2100-12cfm-two-stage-vacuum-pump

It uses both spark proof and ignition proof in the description and gives off the impression that it’s basically ignition proof because it’s sparkless but I’m so unsure.

@scisolinczack

What do you have to say about this? It seems like is intrensically safe based on the description.

1 Like

Pneumatic vacuums are the way to go

3 Likes

Any recommendations? I’m not looking for a recovery pump just something to help me clear the column out after passive recovery and maybe help me feel safer purging BHO.

The pneumatic vac I’ve used which is safe is:

However for purging BHO in an oven I’d select a stronger pump like an explosion proof edwards scroll 6ic or one of the explosion proof edwards rotary vane pumps pathed through a vapor trap (for longevity)

2 Likes

This is a great little pump. Very safe and reliable.

U need to warm the column recover all of your solvent. Vacuums are for before your run to evacuate atmospheric pressure

4 Likes

Still good to have a vacuum to help get rid of what the warm water cant push…

I’m still not on a nitro setup…

I think you are confused on what nitro assists with…

And no. You do not want to vacuum out butane vapors (at least with a pump). If you are running passively (the way that I do) your tank will be a vacuum, and it would end up pulling vacuum (atleast slightly) on your material column once all vapors had been recovered.

2 Likes

does anyone know what goes into manufacturing ignition proof pumps and fans? I got a trs 21 and it costs more than tr21 is is just the cost of getting it rated? Or do they pot the connections or something. Same question for fans.

This is not explosion proof. You don’t want to use this pump with butane vapor. A trs-21 can be used to pull slight vacuum or you can use a pneumatic driven one.

7 Likes

Maybe I have vapor lock issues prior to recovering out my column or something thats why i brought up nitro. I just figured something would be better than open blasting 15 psi of butane into a warm rag off the top of the column.

I shut the column off from my collection during recovery and i warm it up and i spend a lot of time nearly 1/2 hour trying to get it down from the 30 to 15 and then i open blast it because that 15 wont move,

If it is electric, it needs to be C1D1 rated not spark or explosion proof. C1D1 to work with hydrocarbons.

4 Likes

Thank You for that.

if its spark free it should be fine

brushless does not mean “spark free”.

3 Likes

Side Note: Not even bullshitting I went through my created threads to repost a thread I made and I saw this thread and was like, “oh yeah I remember that one!”

Then I see replies…

2 Likes