Is it safe to run a Mini split in blast space

What is a safe option to run 15ft from extraction space? Was looking into electric mini split. Its getting warmer and warmer. Im worried that since butane chases the cold this maybe a potential kaboom issue. Wish i had the dough for a walk in…

1 Like

Seems u could run a duct(defeats purpose of mini split though)to bring the cool air in and keep the split far away

The make intrinsically safe HVAC

https://www.specificsystems.com/

1 Like

Use a rated blower to make the space negative pressure. Make sure the air supplied by the system does not pull from the extraction space (this will unfortunately make the AC not very efficient but not dying is a priority). Mini split is probably not a great idea in the space (or anything with controls not specifically designed for a classified environment) because it will likely contain a contactor/non solid state relay. Ducted is the way to go.

2 Likes

Either way, running an air conditioner with out any sort of return for the hot air to go to is extremely inefficient.

1 Like

Grow tent with ac inside with a vent fan connected to the tent pushing the ac air into the room. With bigger fan pulling air out of room to maintain negative pressure.
Never tried this its just a thought. This is no where near c1d1 though lol

Get explosions proof fan if ur gonna be pulling air from the room out!

1 Like

Please don’t do this. U think grow tent is gonna stop a fire?

I got a 12" explosion proof fan for sale if anybody is interested

4 Likes

Not at all.

1 Like

I’m gonna stick w if ur not professional u need to run in shed or outside.

hell even some the professionals here would be better off in shed

2 Likes

But with that being said how is butane going to travel up stream when a vent fan is ducting it from the tent to your booth?

1 Like

Idk but when leaks starts I dont wanna find out

Even though systems are pressure tested regularly (most of us) they still can throw a leak at any moment esp if using nitro ,out ur valves packing the worse spot. I switched to hamlet’s recently. But even those need to be tightened sometimes

If you have a larger cfm duct fan connecting to your booth to vent out thats where its going to go. Not upstream. Just saying.

A larger cfm explosion proof fan right…bc its pulling the air from room through it no? I might Just not understand

Ah downstream…blowing. not pulling? I get it I think. Still dont wanna be inside I’d be nervous as a cat lol

Yes. I would if this was me trying this (if i had to for some reason)
I would have a lets say 8" 400 cfm explosion proof fan ducting the cold air from the tent into your area (Blowing air into booth). And a 12" 1000 cfm exp proof fan ducting your booth air oubooth (pulling air out of booth)

I mean, the correct hacky way to do this is to stick the bare evaporator coil in your room and use an ATEX fan to blow air over it. Easy peasy with a split system, just strip everything but the pipe off the unit. Going to need to figure out a non-explosive thermostat if you don’t want to get chilly

2 Likes

Haha. I like that. However the outside condenser unit still needs an electrical signal input from the indoor “unit” and thermostat. Would take a good amount of mcguyver’n to do.

2 Likes

nah. use a timer circuit on the compressor. not perfect, but adjustable, and doesn’t need to be in the room.

3 Likes

@cyclopath has the right answer. No signal needed between the condenser and evaporator other than the TXV sending bulb which isn’t electronic.

The more elegant solution would be an intrinsically safe RTD connected to an external temp controller outside the room but I think this is not sufficiently hacky to be discussed

4 Likes