Is it possible as a 600w grower to make your own rosin carts?

Hello, I am a grower / small scale breeder and i have my own rosin press and a vaccuum chamber. I make roughly 600grams every harvest and i would love to make my own vape carts.

I have conducted lots and lots of research in the past and tried making my own carts but at one point it seems I am way too smale scale to make this any efficiently.

I want to be health wise on the as safe side as possible and to what i understand is that my pure decarbed rosin is way too thick to be put in a cart. its nice and runny when warm, but once the temperature settles it will not move anymore. i can put the pure decarbed rosin cart upside down and still after days it would sit there upside down.

it seems that it needs to be cut to be cut with terpenes to make it less viscous though at a maximum of 10% the weight of the the rosin / input material. I have tried that as well, heated up the rosin until its nice and liquid, added my 50 mg terpenes to my 450 mg rosin and stirred and stirred and stirred, but its still too thick and now sticking in the cartrige.

additionally i read that winterization is important when wanting to use thc oil in carts. being on my small scale experiments added 10ml ethanol 97% per 1 gram of rosin and filtered that with a coffee filter. Lots of waxes and lipids stuck in the filter and by the time i had evaporated the ethanol the little remaining thc oil was all stuck to the shot glass and i couldn’t get it out.

I apologize if i seem dump or uninformed but there is so many information out there and i have tried a lot but can not really find the right procdures.

I am sseking guidance on which process to follow and what makes sense. I am also willing to invest into equipment that is needed but as a small scale grower and living in an illegal country in Europe that does not make things easier.

Do you guys have any recommendations on which tools to get, which steps to take and how much is too much when adding the terps and what to do if my oil is still too thick.

So i do have a fresh harvest coming up, where i am willing to invest 100-200 g to make rosin and cart experiments. I do have a dabpress 10 ton rosin press, i can get ccell cartridges.

Should i buy tools a heat plate with magnetic stirrer to off gas ethanol? once i am winterrizing i am not anymore solventless. is that even possible when wanting to produce carts?

How to gas off the ethanol, i think a rotovap is way above a reasonable financial invest for a small scale grower?

I also saw that a shop here sells a winterization set where the ethanol is poured into a buchner funnel and sucked through some filter material with a vacuum pump.

is winterization for carts really required?

Does something like the extract craft source turbo make sense?

I really hope to get some guidance here and if its a nudge in the right direction.

Also i can get nice batches of dry sift from a plug in spain. is it possible to either press or extract and make cartridges out of that? i guess its going to be the same viscosity problem.

I would love to refrain from adding any unnescessary thinners as i will most likely produce for me and some friends.

Also if anybody likes to try out my strain, you can search and google for silver princess mc jaggen, i would be pleased to provide some free beans.

cheers
McNizzle

1 Like

Hash rosin or flower rosin prior to cart attempts? Flower rosin wont work. Bubble hash > rosin > jar tech > cart. If jar tech leaves you on the too thick side locate some good cannabis derived terps, easily had through the search bar, to achieve a favorable viscosity.

2 Likes

if you don’t want to go through the trouble of using c-cells and want some portable options I made a thread you might be interested in Modern Waxpens/Waxmods

2 Likes

I’d probably go w closed loop or closed column and run dry ice cold… your not gonna get what u want out rosin.

Plus butane will get you like 100x more. I feel this is the only way to remove the clean cannabinoids is tane and pane.

But takes some reading up. Blast outisde, evap outside also. Be careful think safe :green_heart::facepunch:

4 Likes

Could you give me a tip why flower rosin won’t work?
Is it because the bubble hash rosin will press out less fats / lipids?

I went from open blasting my trimmings to buy a rosin press because i did not want to put myself anymore into danger of exploding.

What would be the difference from using bho, i feel that the end result is as hard and viscous as rosin, even harder. Also my brain refuses to like butane because i am always worried if i really got all of the solvents out after purging.

Im not trying to argue against though i’d like to learn

1 Like

Could you please elaborate how crystallizing out the thca into diamonds is going to help me to get to make my own cartridges?

should i then somehow filter that out?

Make diamonds, separate out the terp fraction, decarb diamonds, re-add terps, add to carts

Never mind, he’s talking about jartek, I was thinking of butane extractions

U need vac oven or vac chamber to remove the small amounts solvent left after cold boil evap or recovery through cls

Rosin just is b grade product that takes some really dialing in to never even really get pure product. If u do then u lose yield.

Open blasting can be done safely. Hence the word “open” outside blasting. Do everything outside or in shed way away from house.

Dont run any electrical things and ur good.

Just u can get cleaner product w butane and dry ice. Yes it takes some common sense and learning ur environment and how things work before attempting

I dont condole open blasting at all but it can be done safely

Jarring butane for diamonds is much more dangerous for noobs

Am i not going to have the same problems with fats/waxed and lipids in the carts, and the viscosity of the BHO extract as with the rosin?

I have done plenty open butane blasting in the past and my product is hard shatter, couldnt put that in a cart as well.

1 Like

Decarb(will make gooer) add terps or tasteless terps to thin this for carts

:rofl: don’t go saying that over on reddit, the rosin fanbois are pushy as fuck with how rosin is better than everything. 100% agree with your statement.

3 Likes

the final BHO consistency can be many different things. If your end goal is carts, you’ll need to process for that. One can make shatter or sauce with a BHO extraction based on how they handle it and post-process the resin.

Open blasting for shatter vs a closed loop run balls cold with dry ice will result in completely different consistencies. Additionally, if you crash your THCA out and decarb it and re-introduce, it will be even different and more suited for carts.

Ur right

Im not sure why they said not to press flower. Imo flower rosin always turned out more terpy and less viscous than hash rosin.

Might be tasty but it will leave your glass dirty with the extra stuff. That extra stuff, plant cuticle/waxes/lipids are too much for the terps and jar tek with the intent of creating a cart. Good hash rosin can lead you to a good/functioning cart, WPFF is ideal but flower pressing will lead to a clogged cart. That’s my reasoning for the dont press flower mention.

U gotta get a chemex paper filter and SS mesh to hold the crap in. Theres ways to make clean rosin, its almost always dark in bulk but ive made some really terpy stuff with flower rosin. I used to squish lots of flower, kief and hash back in 2016/17 and when ur doing bulk, u gotta prepress into molds and wrap in paper filter then SS mesh. Holds the brick together and u only get particles if u overload the plates. I would do 16 tons of pressure on 6x6 inch plates with 5x5 premolded bricks.

1 Like