Is it legal for a business to make extracts from a homegrowers crop?

In various states, but CO in particular. Is it legal for a business to offer extraction services to a home grower or does the flower have to come from a licensed rec/med grow?

Metrc in metrc out

15 Likes

Even if you could get the biomass into your facility, or more importantly Metrc, you couldn’t off-loas it directly to the homegrower.

Let’s say you did get the biomass into Metrc. The only way to could get the concentrate to the homegrower is through a dispensary. You could treat it like a sample and sell it for $0.01, and then the homegrower could buy it for a $0.01, or whatever price prevents the dispensary from taking a tax loss.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, I’m more on the consumer end wondering why this service doesn’t exist.

Sounds like there’s no regulatory structure for such a thing and no way to legally do it with the existing one.

1 Like

Don’t quote me @GreySeer but I believe a processor in Oklahoma can extract for a medical patient/consumer.

In CO and really all other states it’s a no-go. That’s why rosin exists. :grin::+1:

5 Likes

If it didn’t start as a legally tracked item in METRC (the product tracking system for most if not all legal states by now) from the point it was planted then it’s basically not legal for companies to do anything with. Needs to be tracked from “seed to sale” and the exceptions to this (like transferring in clones) often require special approval.

IIRC Michigan had some system that allowed things to be brought in from outside sources but I remember it leading to a lot of dirty product coming in.

It would be cool to submit homegrown to your favorite lab to make you live resin but that just conflicts with the whole system. I don’t think anyone is really advocating for customers to be able to undercut their own suppliers. Some states have programs for licensing micro grows (in theory) so eventually it could be a thing if an individual went through the whole process and set up with METRC.

2 Likes

What you’re looking for is a traditional extractor. We’re a rare breed these days.

7 Likes

Legally? No

There are processors in Colorado that will do it for a caregiver. Not a recreational consumer/grower, though.

There is/was a C02 extraction company in Southern Colorado that offered it to caregivers when I used to live in Durango.

Regardless if they do or don’t anymore, but it used to be a thing.

1 Like

In my state (medical, not rec), I see people who have the means to press rosin do it for people who have med cards. This one guy has his own logo and stamped jars and everything. Contact him, he invites you to his place, cook some food and press some rosin. I’ve always wondered if he tip toed a grey area and who could stop me from setting up a CLS in my garage and extracting peoples weed from the dispensary for a “donation”
Edit: wanted to add in, this is flower purchased from the dispensary he’s pressing. Not anything within a tracking system from a state

Oregon allows OMMP (medical) caregivers to pay a toll processing fee to extract their flower with a processor. I have the endorsement on my license. Still metrc tracked obviously.

7 Likes

I’m hoping that comes to my state one day…got pretty tight regs in my state. Are you familiar with Washington DC market? You pay some money for a T shirt and get some weed that comes free with it. In my state, it’s not legal to smoke flower out of a bong but you can vaporize flower and dab legally. This guy in my state has patients come to his house with a quarter oz of flower and presses it into rosin. Completely legal because flower and extracts are medical in my state. In my shower thoughts, it would be cool to have a CLS system safely built at my house and patients bring me their quarter of flower and process it into dabs better than the current market for a “donation”. Donate money for a t shirt i own, I make dabs for you

1 Like

wow I thought the shit was legal over there not run by government

gangstas.

I honestly thought if you had it tested and it was with in

regulations it was salable.

wow so much for my hippy beliefs.

you are allowed to grow your own though ?

it makes sense though.

if they could do this too orange juice they would.

I can just imagine the DEA doing some poor little girl selling

lemonade as she extracted it from illegally grown lemons.

its no different than before just changed hands thats all.

1 Like

Lots of home growing states with different plant count rules. Lots of channels for medical growers and caregivers to work with a licensed medical processor usually. Not all states, but for the at home extractor rosin press setups and extractcraft.com allow people to make purged medicine at home for reasonable pricing.

America has plenty of at-home communities.

This forum is basically the step above that in pursuit of professional extractions.

2 Likes

Naw fam. Not at all…

Read into each states laws. Drastically different per state…

2 Likes

bro thats the mullet of the century man how long did that take

to grow or should I say cultivate :slight_smile:

there is a guy in nimbim australia who is growing hemp

with thc with in regs and has been doing tincs from them for

well before we had otc CBD.

I have no idea how he sells it but it is open and available to all.

I have purchased off him before but found it hard too

extract his tinctures though I believe some one here has fixed

that problem.

well I am glad there is at least some options for independence.

the whole idea of legalizing the stuff was to make it

available to the world and to promote healthy competition in

my mind.

the plant was already available though the quality was often

questionable depending on who you got it off.

I purchased some weed in san jose back around the early

2000’s

it was the most seedy horrible crap I had ever had.

I like was man your living in california and you sell me this.

it was all he could get so at least quality is now a lot

better.

well I must say I feel honored to be accepted among you guys.

Teach them how to make their own bubble hash. Don’t sell hash, sell the tek and ancillary equipment. Like one of those wine and painting classes

6 Likes

that is a very good idea thank you :slight_smile:

this time I am going for THCA from CBD that is my next

goal.

Legal or not. Smaller extract facilities catering to home growers is the path to effective meds for all. Big cannabis won’t have a unique quality product every week. It’s not as profitable as pumping mids. So do it. Do it for the people. Do it for America.

6 Likes