Is HVAC Certification Useful for CannaIndustry

So I’ve been thinking about taking HVAC Training Courses and was wondering if it’s useful or just a waste when it comes to the cannabis industry.

Are hvac techs used in the construction of laboratories or is that all up to the chemical processing engineers and the third party reviewers?

4 Likes

Heck yeah it’s useful @GroovyOctopusLabs! Do it!!

3 Likes

You’ll literally never run out of work in a cultivation here

2 Likes

Just don’t take what you’ve learned and try to apply it to extraction.

The worst extractors I’ve ever met, have been hvac techs.

8 Likes

Are you talking ab out HVAC specifically or refrigeration certification.

I come from an industrial back ground and I can tell you that large process plants (Food, pharma, chemical etc) all have a maintenance staff that typically include refrigeration certified techs. Think about all the refrigeration circuits there are in typical cannabis production facility.

Long story, short is this. Yes, it would be a valuable skill especially in the long term maintenance of a cannabis production facility.

4 Likes

but my injector coil kicks asssssss

2 Likes

I have a local hvac tech that I’m buddies with and he gets all my business. Just get very proficient with clean installations and you’ll get return work like crazy. My guy does beautiful work.

It’s quite the profession and will help you expand your network in the cannabis industry. EVERYONE is looking for that “cool” dude

7 Likes

I got a buddy that just got his epa here, kids 21 & stepping foot in here, will never run out of work in the high desert plus right off the bat can make 35+/hr

4 Likes

I’m with @BroxTek; Refrigeration rather than hvac imo.

6 Likes

Oh I know :rofl::rofl: I found an hvac forum that showed the utmost worst extraction systems, if I can find the forum I’ll post it.

4 Likes

Yes its very useful. There is tons of business available for clean, good work ethic techs on the commercial side. Not to mention you can free lance on residential or help out family and friends when needed. Don’t just think of Canna. With the way things are going lots of businesses will be relocating, downsizing or retrofitting. Tons of potential work. Don’t be a hack. Do it right, be honest that’ll get you far.

1 Like

HVAC is extremely helpful in all aspects of the cannabis industry…so absolutely I would say to take the course. I am in the process of teaching myself about vapor pressure deficit in our indoor grow and a lot of it has to do with HVAC. Not only that but if you truly think about it a closed loop extractor is ultimately a refrigeration unit that we cycle manually to strip the media that we put inside of it. That’s just my opinion though.

Let’s see them extractors @GroovyOctopusLabs. Got links?

2 Likes

I can’t find it.

1 Like

skilled, trustworthy hvac guys are worth their weight in gold. same goes for electricians, plumbers, builders, etc

4 Likes

I think a good electrician would have a hard time making what he’s worth doing facility maintenance in the cannabis industry, at least until things go legal federally and large processing facilities are built.

maybe not on maintenance, but on builds? emergency service calls at 3 am? my electrician loves that shit. same for my hvac guy. doing cannabis related work exclusively probably wouldnt cut it for them, but most of the contractors ive worked with are all about under the table side jobs.

2 Likes

Can definitely confirm, used to work for a gc and we loved the cash only side jobs.

I know of more than one contractor that was essentially forced into an equity deal due to owners and financiers not being able to come up with monies owed. These days established multi billion dollar companies skimp out on engineering, half of the industrial projects that come across my desk are 65-70% engineered at best, the cannabis space from what I’ve seen is 35-40% for the ones that even looked like they had an idea of what they wanted, and had some sort of plan on what they needed to accomplish it. You can’t do multi million dollar jobs on the weekend on the side or any job that requires permitting in a legal market.

2 Likes

true. my mind is stuck on gray market mode, i didnt even think about that

1 Like