Is Crumble Full Spectrum?

CBGA “crumble” is not distillate.

@ThePhilosopherStoned You distill without decarbing under vacuum. This is pretty universally done with ethanol extracts to remove the ethanol.

Different solvents have different vapor pressures.
One way or another the solvent has to be removed whether it’s CO2, ethanol or hydrocarbon.
The principles are the same regardless of whether you are adding heat or keeping it cold and pulling pressure.

Sure, a distillate is generally passed again through distillation to further fractionate - I’m speaking in general principles.

Their 74% “crumble” might be crude, but I expect their 85% and 94% “crumble” is likely a distillate.

You distill the alcohol out of the oleo/alcohol slurry. You do not evaporate the oleoresin. In order to create a distillate you would have to heat it hot enough to evaporate and then re-condense the oleoresin itself.

Don’t try to tell me that drying down by evaporating the alcohol out of the slurry is creating a distillate. It’s just distilling the alcohol to separate it from the mixture.

1 Like

True - I’ve edited the comment to reflect this point - I was speaking in the most general terms to explain the relative nature of the term “full spectrum”

@ThePhilosopherStoned you posted “how do you distil without decarbing… you don’t”.

You can - and high potency CBGa or CBDa concentrates can be made by distilling extracts under cold vacuum, and may generally have a crumble consistency - CBGa just seems to crystallise that way in the presence of other compounds.

As I said, crumble is marketing term more than anything.

To the original topic, any product that has undergone distillation (even just rotovaping or vacuum ovening) has lost part of the original full spectrum (wether it’s the heads, tails, or just what’s burnt off with heat leaving you with less than the full spectrum of compounds - in particular you will lose many lightweight terpenes and phenols etc (some of which are physiologically active) along with the ethanol.

1 Like

given the use of “distillate” in this industry, calling the removal of solvent “distillation” is not doing anyone any favors. certainly not the OP.

can it legitimately be called distillation?

Sure, the ethanol is being distilled.

However, given the focus on cannabinoids here, referring to the process as such merely creates confusion, and in your case (you clearly know better), is being deliberately disingenuous imo.

6 Likes

The alcohol in this case is the distillate and the cannabinoids the raffinate though…

5 Likes

this :100:

my point was that the oil was not distillate because the alcohol was the only fraction being evaporated and condensed, aka distilled

not trying to be petty, merely precise for OP’s sake

3 Likes

I’m looking at this CBGa crumble and at this price I can afford to have plenty to give away to friends for free. Is everything looking good on the COA for this CBGa crumble?:

Does the ethanol level look high here on page 2 coa for CBGa crude? It says it’s 124014.632 ppm.

120,000 parts per 1,000,000 == 12% ethanol.
0.12g of ethanol per gram.

were you planning on eating 400g a day, you’d be getting the equivalent of 2 drinks. you’re not.

imo the only problem is the lab director putting ANY digits after that decimal point. chances are they can justify 124,000, but the precision implied by 124014.632 is simply ludicrous. that’s the number the machine gave. no human thought about it.

2 Likes

The real question is can anything that is made with only ethanol or butane/propane or co2 be considered full spectrum when you are only picking up a portion of the available spectrum when it comes to aroma and flavor compounds.

Lots of these have never been seen on a weed coa but that doesn’t mean it isn’t present in weed. Until we fully analyze weed like essential oils we will never know what true spectrum is and what our current forms of extraction are leaving behind.

I’m all for shotgun mass spec, because that’s the type of approach you’re going to need to identify all the constituents of that matrix…

1 Like

Will CBGa crude decarb just sitting there at room temperature?

No clue.
Certainly a possibility.

Ethanolic solutions of thca have been demonstrated to decarb at an accelerated rate.

Have not seen anyone present the data for cbga, but there is no a priori reason (I can see) the phenomenon should only apply to thca.

2 Likes

The CBGa will just decarb into CBG right?

Yes. Shouldn’t go any further in a hurry. Couldn’t tell you what years at rm temp will do…

test.pdf (341.0 KB)

The CBGa crude I recently got tested at 70% CBGa back in March. Now it’s testing at 38% CBGa.

1 Like

indeed…

how was it stored during that period?

how does this qualify as “crumble”?!?

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 9.18.56 AM

certainly looks to have solvent in it. is that the 12% ethanol shown earlier?