Introducing the RotoBooster

a higher boiling point / condensation point means you dont have to cool the vapor as much meaning less enthrapy used. If youre boiling it off at 90C at normal atmosphere then you can literally make it consense at a temp ABOVE that (like 100c or 110c) if you apply pressure.

2 Likes

I understand that violent boiling in a roto is not ideal, and carries a significant risk of bumping into your recovery flask and the time waste that creates. I seem to be getting the best recovery rates from my rotos when the solution is at the very edge of boiling, to the point there is some bubbling/boiling where there’s the most turmoil - where the liquid film on the top of the flask is being pushed back into the liquid. I understand that much more heat or vacuum in that situation is a recipe for a violent boil & bump, I have also observed different behaviors of the liquid depending on whether the evaporation flask has hardly any crude mixed in or if it’s a third full of crude and just getting topped off with additional tea

I still suspect this is a surface area issue, if not, why are some roto sellers like AI and others now offering larger rotos that have double condensers instead of just selling a single condenser with a significantly larger capacity chiller?

Makes sense- pressurize with nitrogen so the high temps can’t also damage and oxidize your oil? I’ll be testing this out as soon as my FFE condenser is done being fabricated.

Do you have AI 50 liter rotos by chance?

Cause bells and whistles are expensive and line the pockets of the folks sellin em.

No I don’t have any AI stuff, the ones I have are not branded as such but same Chinese chillers as Lanphan has been selling.

Ive noticed these things too, the more crude in the evaporatory flask the more heat needed to get proper evaporation rates. Also, when theres no crude its super easy to shoot solution up into the neck. I always fill my flask up to the neck, as ive noticed the more surace area from filling it up more the faster the evaporation rate is. IDK why no one will make a roto with a bigger neck then like an inch and a half. Where my flask attaches to the actual roto is the choking point of the whole thing. I feel like they need to widen this and you could get alot more evaporation out of your roto.

The EtOH conc. Will def behave v differenly- low conc. Means less and less ability for your oil to give up the EtOH and you’re not getting full recovery if it’s full blast vac all the way- not so important if you’re running it thru an SPD but a total pain when running thru a WFE.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure I am getting nearly full recovery, we decarb/degas in roto at higher temps than we do our solvent recovery at, under similar vacuum levels (usually by end of decarb it’s a little bit deeper than when we are running solvent recovery) and most of our crude goes to a lab with an WFE where it gets distilled and later isolate is crashed out. We’ve been following this SOP for more than 6 months at this point and no complaints from the guy running the WFE

I definitely understand where a not-completely decarbed/degassed or solvent recovered crude product will make a WFE operators life difficult, we are definitely not leaving any significant amount of ethanol behind in our crude, nor anything else which would boil up when first pass is run through a WFE

I’m curious if your contact at Pope has any documentation about how deep vac could be pushing ethanol deeper into solution, 5-10% seems insanely high to me and way higher than any residual solvent test result we’ve ever gotten using this SOP

I hope u learn from some of this instead of faking being a consultant… u would have known max vac is below -27. The picture u referenced showed ur previous statement, its like u just simply googled again and believed the first thing that popped up. It really seems like ur just repeating random shit uve seen on this forum without really know whats going on. Cuz that google picture u posted, showed u really dont know, that was a forum and “their perfect vac” was -27, doesnt mean thats actual perfect vac…
Ive shown multiple ways to show that ethanol boils lower and u refuse it, why cuz that simple google showed u otherwise and ur trying to be a know it all?
I Just dont understand, i mean maybe if u were only versed in microns, torrs and mbars but still
I see that ur verified and liked by many, just weird

IDGAF what temp ethanol boils at. If you really want to sit here and nitpick such stupid facts then go ahead you obviously have too much free time on your hands. I googled what temp ethanol boils at at used what popped up, big deal. Its a reference point, not an exact I have much bigger things going on then worrying about finding the perfect boiling point of ethanol. I never said perfect vac was -27 anywhere in this post so IDK where youre getting that from. Its funny to me you try to discredit my consultant abilities when you dont even know why a liquid evaporates rofl or the difference between boiling and evaporating. If anyones fake its you. Ill be in vegas if youd like to come talk in person :wink:

This is where i got it from lol u had it at -27 then went back to edit it lol so u can change it again so ur second number is right too :wink:

Yes u can keep saying evap if u want, i dont really care. U keep bringing that up and it was a side question to see how much u knew because u were stating incorrect stuff, that needed to be corrected so others that read this can learn. Instead of repeating random google stuff

Im teaching a concept, the #s dont really matter if you understand the fundamentals of thermodynamics. at sea level perfect vac is -29.92. I mean if you want to get into technicalities perfect vac is ALWAYS different based on altitude :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nope perfect vac is deeper than space, i think space is 10^-6 micron or deeper, people are hitting 10^-4 micron in distilling regardless of altitude lol which im just guessing here is - 29.999 inhg
Again not really trying to be nit picky, just i dont see how ur getting this info

you cant pull that vacuum here on earth though

Breaking dabs hits 10^-4 with his pumps and set ups whilr running main body :joy: its crazy
Diffusions and turbos are fun toys, i hope to get one one day

2 Likes

space is a deeper vac, 10^6 is deeper then 10^4th…

Yes i know that, i was saying wat was possible on earth… which is still way below (above? Lol)ur stated number

I dont think 10^-4 is lower then -29.92 mmHg.

Heres a little conversion chart I played with on google just now. No matter how many 0 you put after the . it will never get below 29.92 for the mmHg for here on earth. Space gets alot deeper then 10^6 too btw read this from Wikipedia. We can reach 10^12 here on earth but even space has a better vac rating.

Lol i see now u were talking in mmhg i was talking in inhg. Thats my bad. But why do u say its different based on altitude? How does the altitude change how well a pump can suck out an enclosed container?
I mean i get the concept of water boiling at different temps based on altitude, with the pressure differential (altitude difference) of an open container (open to the atmosphere) but
there shouldnt really be a difference if the SPD is running in Arizona or the himilayans, since its not really being affected by atmosphere