international hemp auction marketplace (IHAM) was an epic fail.

That is my understanding as well. I’ve heard from people who went and said there were bids at 10 cents a point. An auction in Adams, Tennessee on Saturday saw bids of 5 to 10 dollars per pound for smokeable.

2 Likes

$5-10 per lb of smokable. Wow

2 Likes

Yes. The auction was held by someone I know. He thinks the buyers are colluding to fuck the farmers. To put the fear in them and get them to accept that these are the market prices.

3 Likes

I spoke to a few of the buyers. They didnt seem like that type. But then again I only really spoke with those leaving the auction. For all I know the few that stayed could’ve had some plan to drive prices to absolute minimum.

Alls I know is there were farmers tearing up, and several observers were laughing. Personally I thought the entire event was depressing af. Obviously dreams (likely unrealistic) were being crushed before my eyes.

Granted, its early in the season of the biggest hemp harvest year since ww2, and buyers are going to be lowballing everything, but I see the market value of everything dropping rapidly. It’s going to become about who can process massive amounts and still make a profit per lb processed while the margins get narrower amd narrower.

I “may” return for the extract/concentrate auction on Thursday. If I do, I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

12 Likes

Chris the Clear Scientist wins. His wipers can do 10k lbs/hr, his hexane extractor 100k lbs/hr.

12 Likes

Maybe the buyers think it was an epic success. Destroying a forum where buyers have to openly compete could be a goal. Pity the poor farmers especially any that thought they would have a fair open market. Farmers always get the short straw. Florida will be next with this disappointment.

3 Likes

If by short straw you mean they didn’t do any research before deciding to monocrop hemp in 2019, then sure.

But the price has been steady crashing for years now

4 Likes

There may not be much you can do about the market but you can cooperate to the extent that people share information. What are buyers offering and what did you actually sell it for. Buyers count on competition among farmers and the fact that everybody will stay in the dark. We are setting up a cooperative between Kentucky and Tennessee farmers.

3 Likes

Too many people staking their survival on the last straw of smokable. You just can’t baby thousands of plants and handle it in a way that does not make it biomass. On the other hand, there are still plenty of store owners paying $2 a gram or more 4 smokable. You better believe that they are killing it. Of course this won’t last but what does.

2 Likes

I know but it’s not easy trying to change directions after 3 generations of prohibition. I’m not saying they couldn’t have done it better but in a new commodity time is of the essence and can easily put the cart before the horse. And the reality is that farm prices are falling faster than wholesale prices which in turn are failing faster than retail prices in my limited experience so money is still being made but any profit is moving downstream like it always does.

1 Like

Jesus. I seen his video of him craning it thru the roof but I didnt know numbers. What sort of biomass does he run through a day to feed that beast

Sorry I saw hexane and immediately thought isolate. 100klb an hr. Well fuck. I might need to beg him for a job or switch to plan b mode a few years earlier.

Fuck

9 Likes

Wake me up when were sub $1/lb

Wow that’s a great deal, I was just offered 5kg @$1500/kg but I may hold off and shop around.

Homeboy is overproducing then what the market demands himself…

It ain’t much to worry about until it goes much more mainstream.

Is that kilo of isolate worth the info I have now :joy::wink:

1 Like

Hemp may be a dollar a seed. If you plant 2000 seeds per acre easy to eliminate any profit. And if you clone, no way Jose at those prices.

2 Likes

Yeah for most growers in NC I think .90c. Ppp is break even on good hand shucked biomass from clones

1 Like

Ok so the farmers got their wake up call
But we actually you the CBD extractors are up next so wich strategy is best
Shortest route from A to B
Or making high quality extracts like crc crudes water clear distillates
Are most of you guy s aware of the real cost of extracting a kg of biomass
Rent , taxes,solvent , equipment ,personnel ,energie bill etc etc etc
I can only. Recomend everyone to start calculating so you know where to stop dropping your price
Surviving this year is the hardest once. Things botom out one can re check the busniss
But start now be prepared thing will get ugly around April/may
God for us all :v:

6 Likes

6 billion kg of 2019
Some million pounds from last year
Say an average of 7. % cbd
Gives 420 million kg of isollate
One kg for every living soul in the USA
Holy shit

13 Likes

How about in the Netherlands? :nerd_face: