Interesting Peaks in Chromatogram

Whats up everyone, thought it would be fun to spark conversation with a chromatogram I have. The sample tested is distilled mother liquor. There are a couple peaks that would be neat if someone could identify or speculate about.

Peak #24 I’m 99% sure is CBE from comparing 3rd party results (i still need an inhouse standard)
Peak #40 I’m 99% sure is CBT same situation
Peak #26 I’ve got no idea, I’ve see it in other samples, but not in this quantity.
Peak CBNA (doubled peak in green) its obviously not CBNA despite my software’s integration
Peak CBCA its obviously not CBCA since this mother liquor has been distilled before and after isolation

Whatcha think?

Edit: Sorry about the messy peak labels, my shitty software likes to integrate baseline (im working on it)

6 Likes

@CO_Chromatography

What are you using for a column and mobile phase?

2 Likes

Phenomenex kinetex c18 150mm column
MP is isocratic 75:25 acetonitrile:water with 0.1%formic acid.

1 Like

I’ve seen d10 misidentified as CBC more than once with DADs, but that doesn’t specifically answer the CBCA question. Getting MS data would be helpful but doesn’t seem to be in the cards here.

Not sure which software you’re using, but to clean up the integration of the baseline, look around in your integration settings for a “Area Peak Reject” option and bump that value up.

Peak 40 is curious - maybe a cannabinoid dimer?

1 Like

Thanks for your input, Ive definitely heard the same thing about cbc/d10 but cbca is a little odd.

As far as “area peak reject” I know exactly what youre talking about, Ive used it in Xcalibur Thermo Fisher software, but Im using Gilson software currently, and the settings are extremely limited :frowning:
The following is the only integration settings I can find, and im trying to find a sweet spot where it doesnt integrate the noise, but I still get all the peaks I want… hahahaintegration settings

1 Like

Don’t have much experience with the Thermo software. Sorry. I’ve got an old Agilent 6890 and my favorite options for integration is this window. Peak rejection gives me great glee.

Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 11.32.01 AM

4 Likes

When looking a goop - I stick to manual integration and don’t use the fancy tools. That way I get what I want regardless of peak size, noise, etc. <3

Love this chromatogram - wish I was running right now so I could isolate and get things over for NMR confirmation. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sweet minors, what is the dilution on this?

Second that peak #40 as cbt.

Are you collecting the full uv spectrum? Because there should be some hints in there.

3 Likes

Its 50mg sample into 6.66mL, then a 1:40 dilution. I usually run a low for minors, a high for cbd. Its just worked the best for me with this equipment. To give you an idea, that THC peak is 5.11%

Not the full spectrum, just 228nm

Happy to see the responses :smiley:

1 Like

The cbna peak could be cbr (cannabiripsol), I’ve seen some literature that puts the peak there. Also the cbca area seems to have a lot of minors that show up in my experience, have not been able to nail them down sadly. Could be C3 flavors of god knows what. But if the material was heat treated, especially over clays or whatever, probably d10.

If you can set your DAD to collect 200-400nm, might be worth a rerun so you can have more data to ID on. There are some minors which have signature uv absorbance. 228 is solid for quantitation and all, but it’s good to get the full picture for ID… Gives you that “magnify and enhance” experience.

1 Like
2 Likes