Inline degumming enzymes in hydrocarbon extraction

Alright. Who has tried degumming enzymes inline in a hydrocarbon extraction? I know enzymes usually denature when not in the presence of water, but there are enzymes which still function when in the presence of high concentrations of ethanol. So, would those same enzymes (or others) also function in the presence of butane? Probably not, but I’d like to know what y’all think! @Photon_noir @cyclopath @QGA @ExTek90
From what I understand the polar character of the water/ethanol causes the enzymes to fold properly to accomplish their tasks, and having a nonpolar system may disrupt this… I’d like this to not be the case though! Or at least find an ensure that will function in a nonpolar environment

I don’t think the enzymes that have been sold for this purpose are “poisoned” by non-polar solvents. In fact, I would argue that’s how they were originally intended to be used, if you count molten resin as a non-polar solvent! I postulated some time ago that they should work in alcohol, and since then I believe it has proven a successful method for at least some workers in the field.
I am pretty sure those enzymes operate on the polar regions of the “gums”, from which a non-polar solvent will tend to veer away, leaving the “head” open to approach and attack by the enzyme.

Of course, there’s no substitute for empirical evidence. Try it out! :wink:

6 Likes

Theres also no reason you cant add a lil water and seive it out post filter or via other dehydrating method

1 Like

Maybe the new degumming clay will have different properties and can be incorporated into a CRC or pre-CRC?

3 Likes

Possibly. If it’s what I think it is, then it may require a bit of water… unless the water is already intercalated. Kinda like what @Apothecary36 was talking about, but more organized.

2 Likes

The degumming clay is acid activated though. I wonder what thats going to do to the terpenes, usually when we degum we dgaf about terpenes.

2 Likes

Last thing i heard carbon chemistry is working on a spray on enzyme that you spray onto your biomass with water from a squirt bottle before extraction to degum. (Idk if itll exactly use water but youll spray the enzymes on to degum prior to extraction to increase extraction efficiency) This came from a very reliable source :wink:

4 Likes

I can tell you, inline enzymatic degumming is only partially effective in the presence of CO2 that is pushed deep into its’ non polar regions of supercritical state.

I attributed this to fact that I take the solution into polar as well as non polar regions, so my assumption is that I get some level of efficiency during the polar phases and it loses that efficiency as I push it further into supercritical territories.

One day I’d like to take samples after different phases of extraction, maybe after I get a couple new techs trained and get my 5 other R&D projects through to completion, haha.

4 Likes

What pressures are you at with that?? I would think supercritical co2 at either end of it’s polarity spectrum would destroy enzymes simply due to the 1000+ psi

2 Likes

I can’t be specific, but, I’m definitely killing the enzymes in the process, I expected that. I took it through several stages of pressure to try and get the best effect.

3 Likes

You can have a separate honey pot with an explosion proof triclamp mixer from mixers direct so you can saline wash possibly degum in line with the extraction. Don’t know if it’s worth the effort though.

1 Like

Probs just dewaxing or winterize, huh?