Infusing food sugar with bho/oil

Yeah, I’m curious myself.
Should be ~50mg a slice. If it works, I might make it a staple.
I’m planning to use the THC sugar in a short bread recipe.

If the yeast don’t appreciate the CBD, I can at least feed the bread to the chickens.

Done the other way around might be amusing to watch, but raises some red flags :chicken:

Edit: Yeast don’t seem to have been phased one bit. If it does become a staple, I’m infusing the olive oil, not the sugar.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give this a shot. I agree sugar is prob not the best idea anymore, and I still like the idea of the cyclodexterin

Yep. I understand why folks are selling cannabinod laced sugar, but I don’t understand why folks are buying it.

https://rubythc.rubyedibles.com/products/ruby-sugar/

Sure, the sugar will dissolve in water, but the cannabinoids are in no way “water soluble” unless the sugar moiety is covalently bonded (making them cannabosides not cannabinoids). So they float, and stick to the sides of the glass. I’d calculate the losses in my one-off experiment to be on the order of 70% to the container when mixed with water. In a milk based hot chocolate, delivered dose was indistinguishable from 100% (so not less than 85%)

if you didn’t send anything back, you should have most of the bits you need.

not really sure if 4:1 MCT is the right ratio, but it’s a reasonable starting point.

you want to add as little as you can get away with to keep the potency up, and reduce the amount of cyclodextrins that are being used just to carry MCT.

There is an outside chance you could use 0% MCT, and do all your kneading at 70-80C. I don’t recall this working well with maltodextrin, but it’s been awhile.

I wouldn’t sacrifice more than a gram or so at first.

I recommend mixing by hand rather than in a blender.

Did you read the paper? They noticed a distinct change in the torque required for kneading when they reached their desired endpoint. It got stiffer and stiffer, and then started breaking back up rather than continuing to agglomerate. You’ll miss that if you don’t knead by hand (not with your actual fingers, with a butter knife or similar).

You might be able to switch to a low speed mixer/blender once you have a feel for the process.

Who thinks Ruby is using an unlisted solvent to achieve this trick?
Who thinks they’re using organic cane syrup and evaporating?

I’d like to hope they’re not using unlisted solvents. If they’re not, they’re almost definitely using cane syrup.

me too. However, it’s soooo easy to make this stuff if you use alcohol as a solvent. throwing it in the vac oven afterwards should remove essentially all of the alcohol. If it then tests clean, one can put a “solvent free” appellation on it right?

Evaporating cane syrup shouldn’t be a whole lot more work, but I haven’t actually tried it yet.

Here in OR, we only have to potency test edibles. Residual solvents & pesticides are all done on the extract used.

One argument for that was that perfectly acceptable flour can have high enough (allowable) pesticide residues that baked goods could fail if tested to cannabis standards.

2 Likes

Flack Tek Speed Mixer. It is a Dual Action Centrifuge (DAC). I have made infused sugar, powdered sugar, and honey, to name a few. It is effectively using sheer force to homogenize. Very easy and very fast, 15-30 seconds. Also, it is capable of creating nano emulsions.

3 Likes

http://highspeedmixer.pages.ontraport.net/marijuana

so that would be @ExTek90 for the win…

and @TreeMonsters for the actual “I’ve done this!” confirmation.

Are you heating the decarbed oil to decrease viscosity?

Still don’t get why folks are buying it more than once.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would warm it up a bit, used a raw subcritical CO2 oil. That said, you generate a good deal of heat in process, we hit the honey with infrared thermometer and it was hitting 40c if I am remembering that right. An interesting feature I have noted, the sugar and honey I think were hitting nano status or coming close because they would mix in fairly well with beverages without lecithin or any other emulsifying aids. For example, I made some tea and stirred some sugar in, I could see a few small flecks here and there but largely it seemed to remain in solution and not drop out. When I let it sit overnight it separated out more noticeably so I would say it wasn’t perfect but this was some at home R&D :slight_smile: It hit fairly hard and fast but also faded fast.

It is relatively easy to make a truly water soluble with this equipment but I was intrigued by the potential ease of the sugar and honey route.

We don’t sell it often but we have a few regulars who request it and since that machine is capable of so many great things and the sugar is super easy to make it is justifiable.

1 Like

Watch out when rotovaping cane syrup mixture, very foamy …

1 Like

what sort of dosage?

there is clearly some level of solubility of cannabinoids in hot water otherwise the Dutch wouldn’t advise their medical users to prepare tea. I’m pretty sure I’ve run across it somewhere. 12-15mg in 500ml is what I recall, but I’d call that a guess rather than actual recollection.

The published solubility for THC in 23C water is ~2.8mg/l
doi:10.1002/jps.2600630705 which may in the datadump already.

I was adding ~100mg of ~70% CBD resin in 1 teaspoon of sugar to about 500ml of 16C tap water. I’m not calibrated for CBD, so I don’t really know that the film I saw lost to the glass was actually target, but I’d say it was a reasonable assumption.

Same paper shows THC sticks to glass (and stainless) out of a 0.1ug/ml aqueous solution…

I also have to admit that I eye-balled the “gram”. So it could have been 1100mg or 900mg starting material.

Which is why I couldn’t tell 100% from 85% on the THC. delivered dose was within 10-15mg of 100, but there was uncertainty in the expected dose :slight_smile:

sounds like you’ve been there.

Did you have any trouble getting the crystals out of the rotovap?

Heck yes, your better pouring the slush out and finishing in the vac oven!

I approximated it to being about 15mg of THC per gram of sugar but I did not weigh the sugar, HAHA! Just made it to taste, not very scientific, but was effective. If I had to guess I would say I added 2-3 grams of sugar to what was about a 6oz glass of tea. I have plenty more of this stuff so I can try some different ratios out in a more controlled manner for science :slight_smile: If you are interested I could also try the honey out and even try to send some pics. Honey is so tasty I just eat it as is. I have CBD and THC versions of both. I can’t say I recall any sticking to the glass, but I can keep an eye out for it in this round. Whatever might be helpful let me know, I want to contribute!

1 Like

Pictures are always welcome.

I agree that infused honey is da bomb!
Yeah you could add it to something, but as is works great.

I’ve got a couple of strains where the extract itself is so sweet I can hit 100mg in a 3ml honey stick with no problem. Given that the legal limit around here is 10mg, the high test ones are just for “testing” purposes :slight_smile:

Had some habenero infused 30mg/ml THC honey sticks that made for a great glazzed chicken. with individualized dosing too.

Weaponry that will allow correct homogenization will be critical once we get those back into production.

1 Like

@Ljohnso16

Did you have any joy with the cyclodextrins?

I actually got a line on a super super cheap used lab homoginizer, waiting on shipping atm. Than I plan to try tree monsters method, both with crude co2 and decarbed and non bho, curious if the heat will decarb enough or stick to low and slow methods of decarbing. I also already have the cyclodexterin so I’ll prob mess with that for a less sugary method. :+1::+1:this thread has given me a lot of info about particle dispersion, compounds, and different oil not just bho.

Also as mine is for personal use I will surely update with how much oil per honey I can disperse with this method, because I will be putting in a lot more oil

I was expecting you to respond with this critter.

took me two weeks to stumble across it again.

I actually made one, it works. It took a long time to abrade it away…:persevere:

pour out as a slurry and into the vac oven it is then…

1 Like