Infusing food sugar with bho/oil

Yes I’d re-use till I finished the product… and I’d go w the finest food service seive… their not rated in microns but they could be called a “Chinio” pronounced Shinwa. Usually the come in course medium and fine… if you can’t find one, your local army surplus store usually has gold panning equipt. The next too finesest grain seive their would work as well. Just be shur to seive several times too create a uniform distribution of thc.

would evaporating Isopropanol instead work for you?

No it doesn’t, still alcohol

Perhaps it was infused into melted sugar like candy, then milled into smaller peices?

1 Like

then MCT or olive oil and maltodextrin would be my recommendation.

decarbing your ground sugar and extract mixture after grinding seems more error prone than decarbing before mixing (where you have CO2 bubbles for feedback). mixing sugar directly with decarbed extract was a fail.

using Iso as a liquidizer seems to have been a win.

just a spoon full of sugar, 100mg goes down…in my coffee for the day

1 Like

@Ljohnso16 for the record: as would be expected, dissolving a teaspoon of “CBD infused sugar
into an 8oz glass of water resulted in at least 1/2 of the cannabinoids stuck to the sides of the glass.

I might repeat the experiment later with a teaspoon of the THC infused version so I can actually quantify that a little more accurately, but I really don’t see the utility of this approach. Unless you’re using it for baking.

Maltodextrin as a carrier will have similar issues, although if you’ve used MCT or other oil as a liquidizer, you might get more floating on top, and less stuck to the sides.

I use cannabinoids in MCT in my coffee. they float, and stick to the sides, but when you have an endless supply and a known tolerance, it’s a workable solution.

If you want to add your “infused sugar” to an aqueous solution, and still deliver a metered dose, then cyclodextrins are your friend.

I don’t believe you can get the cannabinoids into the cyclodextrins without solvent.

if you’ve got religious objections to solvents, I recommend just swallowing the infused maltodextrin.

1 Like

Lozo and an anon mentioned a method to mix the cyclodexterin, thc and mct with a blender and a sieve, what’s your opinion on that? Or still not uniform enough?

It is about how the cyclodextrins work…you need to get the cannabinods in, not on. one cannabinod molecule to one cyclodextrin molecule.

You might manage that with 4:1 MCT to cannabinods, but the voices in my head suggest you’ll just get a sticky mess.

The outside is hydrophillic, the inside is hydrophobic. Without the correct solvent (eg alcohol) you’re not going to have joy imo.

my reading of @Lozo’s comments did not include cyclodextrins in the mix. only sugar and bho per your request. pretty sure anon was Lozo too.

I’m all for freedom of religion, and support your quest for a repeatable delivery vehicle for your daily phytocannabinods that doesn’t include alcohol in the production. I destroyed 2g of extract and 1/2 cup of sugar in your honor, and even took the production description to another thread because it used the religiously proscribed solvent. :slight_smile:

I just don’t know that infused sugar in water is the solution you’re looking for.

Cannabinods in MCT in a dropper bottle seems like way less hassle.
going the extra mile and loading gelatin capsules with a measured dose might even be more convenient.

Edit: looks like I’m wrong on the ethanol requirement. see if you can make heads or tails of this https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejps.2004.06.002 they “knead” their molecule of choice in there. according to the abstract.

Edit: their “kneading machine” is rather hi-tech. not sure how to replicate it at home.

if you’ve got all the other parts, the lowest speed on the blender might work.
I’d call “stir” more vicious than “knead”. You’ll also have to air dry…

2 Likes

The only thing I can see this cannabinoid infused sugar being useful for, is baking.

Turns out I made just enough to swap into my bread machine mix.

Who thinks the 600mg or so of CBD in there is going to be problematic for the yeast?

I second the baking aspect of infused sugars. Using them as a beverage base is rather dissapointing. I would be curious to hear how the bread loaf turns out.

Yeah, I’m curious myself.
Should be ~50mg a slice. If it works, I might make it a staple.
I’m planning to use the THC sugar in a short bread recipe.

If the yeast don’t appreciate the CBD, I can at least feed the bread to the chickens.

Done the other way around might be amusing to watch, but raises some red flags :chicken:

Edit: Yeast don’t seem to have been phased one bit. If it does become a staple, I’m infusing the olive oil, not the sugar.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give this a shot. I agree sugar is prob not the best idea anymore, and I still like the idea of the cyclodexterin

Yep. I understand why folks are selling cannabinod laced sugar, but I don’t understand why folks are buying it.

https://rubythc.rubyedibles.com/products/ruby-sugar/

Sure, the sugar will dissolve in water, but the cannabinoids are in no way “water soluble” unless the sugar moiety is covalently bonded (making them cannabosides not cannabinoids). So they float, and stick to the sides of the glass. I’d calculate the losses in my one-off experiment to be on the order of 70% to the container when mixed with water. In a milk based hot chocolate, delivered dose was indistinguishable from 100% (so not less than 85%)

if you didn’t send anything back, you should have most of the bits you need.

not really sure if 4:1 MCT is the right ratio, but it’s a reasonable starting point.

you want to add as little as you can get away with to keep the potency up, and reduce the amount of cyclodextrins that are being used just to carry MCT.

There is an outside chance you could use 0% MCT, and do all your kneading at 70-80C. I don’t recall this working well with maltodextrin, but it’s been awhile.

I wouldn’t sacrifice more than a gram or so at first.

I recommend mixing by hand rather than in a blender.

Did you read the paper? They noticed a distinct change in the torque required for kneading when they reached their desired endpoint. It got stiffer and stiffer, and then started breaking back up rather than continuing to agglomerate. You’ll miss that if you don’t knead by hand (not with your actual fingers, with a butter knife or similar).

You might be able to switch to a low speed mixer/blender once you have a feel for the process.

Who thinks Ruby is using an unlisted solvent to achieve this trick?
Who thinks they’re using organic cane syrup and evaporating?

I’d like to hope they’re not using unlisted solvents. If they’re not, they’re almost definitely using cane syrup.

me too. However, it’s soooo easy to make this stuff if you use alcohol as a solvent. throwing it in the vac oven afterwards should remove essentially all of the alcohol. If it then tests clean, one can put a “solvent free” appellation on it right?

Evaporating cane syrup shouldn’t be a whole lot more work, but I haven’t actually tried it yet.

Here in OR, we only have to potency test edibles. Residual solvents & pesticides are all done on the extract used.

One argument for that was that perfectly acceptable flour can have high enough (allowable) pesticide residues that baked goods could fail if tested to cannabis standards.

2 Likes

Flack Tek Speed Mixer. It is a Dual Action Centrifuge (DAC). I have made infused sugar, powdered sugar, and honey, to name a few. It is effectively using sheer force to homogenize. Very easy and very fast, 15-30 seconds. Also, it is capable of creating nano emulsions.

3 Likes

http://highspeedmixer.pages.ontraport.net/marijuana

so that would be @ExTek90 for the win…

and @TreeMonsters for the actual “I’ve done this!” confirmation.

Are you heating the decarbed oil to decrease viscosity?

Still don’t get why folks are buying it more than once.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would warm it up a bit, used a raw subcritical CO2 oil. That said, you generate a good deal of heat in process, we hit the honey with infrared thermometer and it was hitting 40c if I am remembering that right. An interesting feature I have noted, the sugar and honey I think were hitting nano status or coming close because they would mix in fairly well with beverages without lecithin or any other emulsifying aids. For example, I made some tea and stirred some sugar in, I could see a few small flecks here and there but largely it seemed to remain in solution and not drop out. When I let it sit overnight it separated out more noticeably so I would say it wasn’t perfect but this was some at home R&D :slight_smile: It hit fairly hard and fast but also faded fast.

It is relatively easy to make a truly water soluble with this equipment but I was intrigued by the potential ease of the sugar and honey route.

We don’t sell it often but we have a few regulars who request it and since that machine is capable of so many great things and the sugar is super easy to make it is justifiable.

1 Like

Watch out when rotovaping cane syrup mixture, very foamy …

1 Like

what sort of dosage?

there is clearly some level of solubility of cannabinoids in hot water otherwise the Dutch wouldn’t advise their medical users to prepare tea. I’m pretty sure I’ve run across it somewhere. 12-15mg in 500ml is what I recall, but I’d call that a guess rather than actual recollection.

The published solubility for THC in 23C water is ~2.8mg/l
doi:10.1002/jps.2600630705 which may in the datadump already.

I was adding ~100mg of ~70% CBD resin in 1 teaspoon of sugar to about 500ml of 16C tap water. I’m not calibrated for CBD, so I don’t really know that the film I saw lost to the glass was actually target, but I’d say it was a reasonable assumption.

Same paper shows THC sticks to glass (and stainless) out of a 0.1ug/ml aqueous solution…

I also have to admit that I eye-balled the “gram”. So it could have been 1100mg or 900mg starting material.

Which is why I couldn’t tell 100% from 85% on the THC. delivered dose was within 10-15mg of 100, but there was uncertainty in the expected dose :slight_smile: