Industrial Batch and Continuous Crystalizer Design

Has anyone had success with industrial crystalizers? This paper describes the thermodynamic properties of 4 major types of continuos and batch crystalizers and I’m curious who has designed, operated or owned anything like this…also what type of grinders are commonly used to pulverize the crystals prior to rinsing? Or are most purifying by recrystalization instead of rinsing?
@GreenMachine_Consult
@QGA @Krative @Juice311 @cyclopath @Photon_noir
Looking for feedback on optimization of these 2 aspects of crystallization. Already scaled to ~200 kilos per day of crashing…just trying to take the labor intensity down a few notches
Thanks Gang

http://www.thermopedia.com/content/680/

2 Likes

I’d be down to help optimize the processes once you get one of these systems, however I wouldn’t leave it to one of us to design a system like this (unless one of us is a chemical engineer with a lifetime of crystalization and process chemistry). I would recommend you look for a system that already does this for some compound then augment it to suit CBD Crystalization. These things are works of art for sure.

3 Likes

@Apothecary36 was working on this

1 Like

I have it in storage in Humboldt I’ll trade for something if you wanna r and D with it

2 Likes

What all does it consist of? Where did you leave off?

I would love to work towards an automated solution for isolate.

1 Like

if the machine has been built, chances are I can make it perform.

designing it from scratch would require I spend more time in the CBD mines gaining motivation :wink:

2 Likes

I think that a lot of people are already working with semi-batch solution crystallization (why else sell all of those glass reactors) or melt crystallization (see Cascade Sciences and Jacqueline’s work). The real trick is how to post-process the slurry and or chunks for washing, grinding, solvent removal, etc. These are all readily conducted using chemical engineering knowledge available to us. But is it really worth making large scale investments in CBD isolate right now?

Modified Scraped surface heat exchangers will both grind and purge your crystals,

This is what you want.

3 Likes

@ProcessMan Depends on who you are and what accounts you have to fill. Plus…CBD isn’t the only cannabinoid in need of crystallization :smirk:

3 Likes

@Apothecary36 @cyclopath you guys know where I’m at so let’s do this! I have 200 kg per day (crashed, ground, rinsed and dried finished product) requirements to fill!

3 Likes

Sounds like fun! You don’t really need anything fancy, although expensive and fancy continuous crystallizers do exist. I gave @cyclopath and @Akoyeh the information for a rather simple 15-30k reactor system to make fine crystal in large batch procedures… and although it is sourced from a Chinese company, they probably already have the parts to make it stateside. Hit us up in DM to get my contact info!

4 Likes