Indole-3-acetic acid to increase actives

Has anyone tried using the same mol equivalents that are used for cloning solutions with indole-3-butyric acid and applying that to the fruiting substrate when moistening? There is an old paper showing increase of actives production using indole-3-acetic acid in a fermentation media.

Link to paper? I’m not aware of research with IAA showing increased actives. However, IIRC, one old paper did find IAA stimulated increased growth of P. cubensis. Regarding IBA, there is limited research on other higher basidiomycetes with inconsistent findings, including simulating growth.

1 Like

Yes please - share the link. <3

1 Like

I think if you inoculated the substrate with DMT, the fungi would make 4HO-DMT
Triptamine may even be suitable

Indole-3-butryic hasn’t been tested yet. Indole-3-acetic has. It is the precursor to 4-hydroxy-indole-3-acetic acid.

There’s more than enough literature and references in “ Homebrewed psilocybin: can new routes for pharmaceutical psilocybin production enable recreational use?” that should explain.

What I’m saying is take the same application rate of indole-3-butyric acid used in cloning i.e. figure out the same mol solution you use in your cloner with i-3-b and use i-3-a in the same quantities in water to moisten substrate. That would in theory provide the goods for the fungi to produce more actives.

I get that you weren’t saying IBA has been tested, and I think @cassin does as well. I’m aware there are no studies on using IBA with P. cubensis. But there are a few studies that used IBA (and many studies using other plant growth regulators) with higher basidiomycetes; that was my point about IBA.

What we’re asking for is a reference to the paper you’re referring to: "There is an old paper showing increase of actives production using indole-3-acetic acid in a fermentation media." Please share a link or the DOI or the paper title.

Oh, I see what you’re asking now. The way you worded your first post, it seemed like you wanted to apply IBA to the bulk substrate, not IAA. Why would you use the same concentration of IAA to moisten bulk media that is used for IBA when cloning cannabis? That would likely be too much IAA and result in growth inhibition. Why not just use the same concentration of IAA (and an order of magnitude greater and lessor) to moisten bulk media from the study on IAA in liquid culture media you referenced? Otherwise, I would recommend trying 1 mg/L, 25 mg/L, 50 mg/L, 75 mg/L, and 100 mg/L IAA solution.

Also, consider that IAA readily degrades in water and by microbial activity in media. Therefore, moistening bulk media with IAA before spawning to your bulk media is probably less than ideal. There are much better ways to apply IAA that would yield better results (if the increased potency you hypothesize is realized).

I think the ideal growing conditions for mycelium and for fruiting are probably different enough to present two different variables to test.

When growing with a casing technique, like covering colonized substrate in a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and peat, whatever substance you want to test can be applied to the casing mixture.

1 Like

The paper was an old one on the growth of actives my psilocybes in liquid media. I will have to find it later. It was specific with the ratios.

1 Like

For sure. :+1:

And if one doesn’t use a casing layer, as is common with P. cubesnis, dunking or spraying the colonized bulk substrate works well for any water-soluble substance. But IAA isn’t water-soluble except under high pH, which can be subsequently diluted into a pH 7.2 buffered solution. Using an IAA solvent mycelium can degrade or utilize is a good approach.

1 Like

Metabolic Engineering 56 (2019) 116

In conclusion, we have presented the first example of psilocybin production in a prokaryotic organism and the highest psilocybin titer to date from a recombinant host from any kingdom. This was accomplished through the combination of genetic and fermentation optimization in small scale, coupled with a scaled-up fed-batch study utilizing a unique HPLC informed substrate feeding strategy. The fed-batch study resulted in a psilocybin titer of 1.16 g/L with maximum and final molar yields from the 4-hydroxyindole substrate of 0.60 and 0.38 mol/mol, respectively (Fig. S11d).