Indofabs C.R.C & BHO Color Remediation Tek

I should have said “bottom flood”, wherein you push solvent from the bottom of the material column up and floods it instead of the solvent entering the column from the top.

I heard that is a good way to prevent channeling

People still do that? I thought that died off with terpp extractors…

5 Likes

Idk if people still do use the design but it does pretty much the same thing as adding a valve after the material column.

I was going to originally ask @sonicgardens if they had tried extracting with solvent that’s not quite as cold and then running the CRC since they had gotten such great results with it.

1 Like

I would theorize when we discuss warmer extraction temperatures we guarantee more contaminants. While I imagine we could still clean it up using the same medias, I think the amounts would haveto be increased. So then it becomes a matter of is it more affordable to cool the solvent, equipment, material, or to include the additional filtration media needed to remove the increased level of contaminants from not cooling.

My thread Cannabis Alchemy Extraction Method vs. Modern EtOH Extraction Methods was actually meant to address that cost to clean vs cost to cool concept in relation to warm and cold ethanol extractions where I was hoping someone had some financial data to show how they would compare if they even could compare at a high level of refinement, but the thread kinda went off course. It was my very first thread, so it probably wasn’t very well composed.

3 Likes

I’ve thought about it. But currently I have some propane in my system that I didn’t want, creating some unwanted pressure and if I extract warmer, it’ll be even more annoying. So, I can’t warm my tank up yet until I get it out and refill, then I will.

The amount of amount extra contaminants picked up in a warm extraction in terms of weight isnt going to be significant, excluding the lipids of course.

The thing I’m worried is the extraction picking up a hay flavor/smell

And I agree with grabbing too much, but adding media wouldn’t be too bad.

It does stand to mention, at least with EtOH extractions, @cyclopath’s White Paper says,

“There is an ongoing debate about the ideal temperature. Room-temperature extractions generally extract more waxes and pigments than cold extractions, which results in additional dewaxing and clarification steps. However, room-temperature extraction techniques are more efficient and require less processing time. We’ve found that the ideal temperature is a function of the desired end product.”
(PG. 6)

I know when working with butane this effect is of a much lower degree due to it being a less polar solvent than EtOH from the start, but would have an impact on our final filtration costs.

Realistically, under the pressure of your n2 pressurized CLEs, how warm can your butane get and still remain a liquid, which as I understand it is necessary for it to work as a solvent?

After rereading that Classic vs Modern EtOH thread I realized it wasn’t just about the cost of cooling vs the cost of cleaning, but also about completeness of extraction vs the cost of cleaning. All these cryo methods leave behind cannabinoids in the plant material because we reduce exposure times and the degree to which material is pulverized to reduce the amount of contaminants picked up in our crude. I wanted to figure out if complete extractions were cost effective due to how dirty they’d have to be.

2 Likes

No everything’s -103ish. And material coloumn was frozen on dry ice overnight

I think the amount of media needed to clean up an extract after a warm extraction isnt going to be much more more than what is already being used
assuming you dewax

Wouldn’t lose all the extra stuff your extracting in the dewax process

What other stuff is there? I can only think of more pigments, lipids, and proteins.

Proteins can be removed with bentonite filtration, lipids with winterization, pigments and possibly quite a lot of other stuff with the alumina, silica, and magsil.

1 Like

I just tried to find my extractor on subzero scientific ig pg but it only goes back to 2015. I have the gen before that with a bunch of stuff i have added to it. Just my lil 1lb unit.

When you say in a 6" column with filter stack, is your material sitting right above it? Dewaxed or not?

Sick results man especially for that amount of material

Ok, just going to need a bunch more filtration with potentially clogging the filters during dewax. I dont know. Im nowhere near as knowledgeable as most of the ppl in this forum. You guys are on a entire different lvl than i am. Half of the time i dont even understand what you guys are talking about.

3 Likes

You’re definitely right that in your case since you dont have a separate dewaxing setup with your unit a hot solvent extraction will clog your filters up with all the extra lipids being extracted, but if you have a separate dewaxing column you can use a polyester felt filter or stainless steel packing to catch the vast majority of lipids before they get a chance to clog your real filters.

The point is I think the problems associated with extracting hot can be mitigated with the processing techniques already being used by lots of people on this forum. That real question is, if an extract like that can be remediated with this procedure then is the increase in extraction efficiency thats gained from extracting warm worth taking the time to separate the extra compounds extracted.

I think that it absolutely is worth it if that means we can use bigger columns with the same amount of solvent as normal.

1 Like

Or you can fill and soke then dewax and filter. Use alot less tane by soking. Similar to running warm i guess

1 Like

Isnt the tane to oil ratio important in dewaxing?

who’s in Portland Oregon?