Increase the viscosity of MCT oil

Hi, I make sublingual drops with standardized cannabinoid content with a carrier base of MCT oil.

I’m looking for a way to increase viscosity of the oil so it doesn’t flow as much. I want to achieve easier dosing for the elderly (because of hand tremors).

(The additive should of course be non-toxic and not be in contradiction with cannabinoids.) Thank you for any advice.

1 Like

I like the idea of a dispersion of caranuba/bees wax into MCT oil to thicken it. Both can be found in food grade for a good price. Gonna have to play around with the percentages, but it’s as simple as melt the two and mix together in a clean blender.

2 Likes

Maybe try blending your MCT with some solid coconut oil until you find a good ratio. Not sure this will actually increase your viscosity, or just result in MCT with lumps of coconut oil, but worth a shot since your MCT oil is likely refined from coconut oil in the first place.

4 Likes

Yes cut it with coconut oil
Or Cut it with liquid lecithin

Also you could try a thicker type of oil

1 Like

I was thinking same thing than i saw u throw out the bees wax. Definately takes a lil trial and error to get consitancy down. My first lotion was way too strong and stiff as fuck lol

1 Like

Corn starch

If you are looking for a natural emulsifier then try xanthan gum. A little goes a long way, best if you mix with a tiny bit of vegetable based glycerin. So first “wet” it with vegetable based glycerin and mix until it is a slightly cloudy solution then add to MCT and mix with a bit of heat until you have the right consistency then incorporate your extract. Its widely used in food and cosmetic industry. You only need 0.5% w/w or less depending on consistency required.

4 Likes

@Hempfields @anon56994712 @Myrrdin @420guy @BigM @EHO_AZ

Guys, thank you for honest advice, im going to try it.

3 Likes

Gum arabic might work as well.

1 Like

Vocab: you are not at all concerned with the density (how many grams/ml). Depending what you add, density could go either way. You don’t care.

The consistency will change, but the best word to describe the change in consistency that you desire is viscosity.

Which you wish to increase.

Because you want your formulation to flow slow.

5 Likes

Yes, you’re right, I’ll correct the post. My English is life long bad and I use a translator. Correct definition is to increase viscosity.

1 Like

well then…

was just trying to get you the most appropriate vocabulary to discuss the problem. it helps. especially when searching.

another way of phrasing “trying to increase formulation viscosity” would be “looking for thickening agents”.

if the issue is really one of dosing, one solution might be to use capsules instead of a dropper. you’ll probably still want to change your product viscosity for that too.

4 Likes

Saturated long chain triglycerides (LCTs) are more viscous than (saturated) medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). Likewise, a mix of saturated LCTs and MCTs is more viscous than MCTs alone.

3 Likes

Sesame oil is the most worthwhile carrier for edibles in terms of uptake (outside the nano world), at least if you’re reading the published literature.

I’d start there.

2 Likes

Mono and diglycerides are a good start. I also recommend using some fatty acid esters of sucrose. Make sure you add and stir your mono and diglycerides while melted. The fatty acid sucrose esters you mix with a few ml of water per gram of esters and stir at room temp. From there you stir that into your MCT oil