Incoming forum features - Possible downtime 2300PST Feb 14th <3 ~20 minutes

On our next update we will be enabling a few extra features. Plugins are linked below.

The calendar plugin will allow users (likely TL3+) to create events that show up in a site wide calendar. Meetups, events, classes etc can be added.
GitHub - discourse/discourse-calendar: Adds the ability to create a dynamic calendar in the first post of a topic.

End to End Encrypted DM chats
GitHub - discourse/discourse-encrypt: A plugin that provides a secure communication channel through Discourse.

I have played around with some CSS and plugins to put links (scihub, glg, etc) at the top of the page and they are all pretty ugly and only work on desktops. This plugin will allow me to put custom links in the hamburger menu which should be much more mobile friendly.
GitHub - discourse/discourse-custom-hamburger-links

I hate ads. I will only use locally hosted in-house ads with ZERO analytics (no google or adsense). This plugin will allow a single small static image banner (at the top or bottom of the page?) to be displayed. I will encourage users who wish to support the forum rent this space. It doesn’t have to be an actual advertisement. ublock seems to block this so if you don’t like ads I suggest getting an adblocking plugin for your browser.
GitHub - discourse/discourse-adplugin: Official Discourse Advertising Plugin. Install & Start Serving Ads on Your Discourse Forum

2 Likes

I am going to do that rebuild to bring in the new plugins tonight around 2300PST. It should take around 20 minutes. There is a solid chance both instances will need to be brought down so the site may be unaccessible for that time. Best case, read only for awhile, worst case no loading at all.

Hopefully the rebuild brings back the few missing avatar pictures for a handful of users. If you are still missing pictures on the 15th please try to clear your cache, try a different device or browser or incognito mode / private browsing.

1 Like

I feel like they just need to log out and back in / wipe cache on browser. I was no logo till I logged back in.

Calendar and Events enabled.

End to End chat enabled, turn it on (per device) by going to your Profile>Preferences>Security
Be SURE to print / write down your paper key so you can recover your messages. Due to how this encryption works there is NO WAY I (or anyone else) can recover your messages, you have to do it yourself and it requires this special key only you have.

Added some extra links in the sidebar under the Community 3dot More menu.

You might see an ad banner move around the next few days until I figure out where I prefer it.

I honestly have no idea whats up with the avatars. On one computer I see them, on another I dont. Clearing cache, trying a different browser, incognito mode does not work. Will open a bug report if I cant figure it out in the next few days.

2 Likes